7.283, FYI: Shanghai Ling, Proceedings of Chicago Ling Society 31

The Linguist List linguist at tam2000.tamu.edu
Fri Feb 23 00:21:57 UTC 1996

LINGUIST List:  Vol-7-283. Thu Feb 22 1996. ISSN: 1068-4875. Lines:  86

Subject: 7.283, FYI: Shanghai Ling, Proceedings of Chicago Ling Society 31

Editor for this issue: lveselin at emunix.emich.edu (Ljuba Veselinova)

Date:  Wed, 21 Feb 1996 22:07:59 PST
From:  bingfu at chaph.usc.edu (Lu Bingfu)
Subject:  An Announcement of listserv Shanghai

2)
Date:  Thu, 22 Feb 1996 14:18:43 CST
From:  barbara at sapir.uchicago.edu (Barbara Need)
Subject:  CLS 31 now available

Date:  Wed, 21 Feb 1996 22:07:59 PST
From:  bingfu at chaph.usc.edu (Lu Bingfu)

                         An announcement of the establishment of
                       Internet Forum of Shanghai Linguistics

          We are  pleased to announce the establishment of the internet
     Forum of Shanghai Chinese.

          The principle goal of this forum is to promote the understanding
     of and research in Shanghai Chinese -- the language spoken by citizens
     of the largest city on earth. Although it has always been referred to
     as a dialect of Chinese, and although it shares a large portion of its
     vocabulary with standard Chinese, Shanghai Chinese is different enough
     in its phonology, morphology and even syntax from standard Chinese
     that it is a unique linguistic system in its own right. A more
     rigorous study of this system will no doubt enrich our knowledge of
     human languages in general and of Shanghai Chinese in particular.
     Toward that end, this forum provides an ideal environment where people
     can solicit data or exchange ideas related to Shanghai Chinese without
     having to disturb those who are not interested in these matters. With
     the help of every one of its participants including you, we trust this
     forum will prove its worth to you.

          If you need to post a message to this forum, simply mail it to
     shanghai at ucdavis.edu. But if you decide to unsubscribe from it in the
     future, please remember that you should send in you request to
     listproc at ucdavis.edu. Thank you for your cooperation.