7.312, Sum: Sicilian

The Linguist List linguist at tam2000.tamu.edu
Thu Feb 29 15:33:23 UTC 1996

LINGUIST List:  Vol-7-312. Thu Feb 29 1996. ISSN: 1068-4875. Lines:  49

Subject: 7.312, Sum: Sicilian

Date:  28 Feb 1996 23:14:10 EST
From:  100101.2276 at compuserve.com (Dan Maxwell)
Subject:  Summary: Sicilian

Date:  28 Feb 1996 23:14:10 EST
From:  100101.2276 at compuserve.com (Dan Maxwell)

A few weeks ago I asked for information on sicilian and venetian dialects of
Italian.  I got three answers,  all concerning Sicilian.  Deborah Dubartell of
the linguistic program at Edinborough university of Pennsylvania noted that
Sicilian should be considered a separate language(rather than a kind of
Italian), at least according to the common linguistic criterion of mutual
intelligibility.   Furthermore, there are bilingual Italian-Sicilian
dictionaries.  Michael Mazzola of No. Illinois University  recommended his own
book  "Proto-Romance and Sicilian" as well as more recent materials at the
University of Palermo.  Chris de Santis of Brigham Young University offered an
additional reference called  "Arba Sicila: La revista de folclori e littiratura
di la lingua siciliana."  This has information not only about literature, but
also about music and poetry.

I hereby thank these respondents, while at the same time regretting that no
Venetian savants had anything to offer.

Dan Maxwell