7.4, All: New Web Site for reading LINGUIST

The Linguist List linguist at tam2000.tamu.edu
Tue Jan 2 06:20:28 UTC 1996

LINGUIST List:  Vol-7-4. Tue Jan 2 1996. ISSN: 1068-4875. Lines:  105

Subject: 7.4, All: New Web Site for reading LINGUIST

Editor for this issue: aristar at tam2000.tamu.edu (Anthony M. Aristar)

Date:  Sun, 31 Dec 1995 23:59:59 CST
From:  linguist at tam2000.tamu.edu (The LINGUIST List)
Subject:  New Web Site for reading LINGUIST

Date:  Sun, 31 Dec 1995 23:59:59 CST
From:  linguist at tam2000.tamu.edu (The LINGUIST List)

We are pleased to announce that LINGUIST has now opened its new
direct-access World Wide Web site at Eastern Michigan University.
It is now possible to read LINGUIST on the Web at the URL:

	http://www.emich.edu/~linguist/issues/html/

We'd like to take this opportunity to thank Graham Katz and
the department of linguistics at Rochester, who, up till
now, have been generous enough to provide LINGUIST with
a place where subscribers can read the list in hypertext.
Let's hope this will take some of the strain off their
server!

The new site offers three ways of reading LINGUIST:

	1.  You may read the 50 most recent LINGUIST issues.

	2.  You may read all archived LINGUIST issues, sorted
	    by number

	2.  You may read all archived LINGUIST issues,
	    sorted into topics, e.g. "Summaries," "Queries,"
	    "Jobs" etc.

This site also offers three new functionalities:

	1.  Easy e-mail responses: The e-mail addresses of the
	    posters of messages are now live links.  You can
	    therefore reply to posters by clicking on their
	    addresses.

	2.  URL's are recognized:  All URL's which use standard
	    URL syntax are recognized by our software and are
	    live links.  This means that you can go directly
	    from a LINGUIST issue to a URL by clicking on the
	    address of the URL.

	3.  String Search on the Subject line: You can now search
	    for LINGUIST issues whose subject line contains
	    a certain string. This will enable you to retrieve
	    all the messages in a thread.

In order to make sure our software does its job properly, we'd like
ask all subscribers to post URL's using standard URL syntax from now
on.  What this means is that any site which you wish to announce
to the list should show the type of connection the Web browser is
to make, followed by a colon and two slashes.  For example:

	If the site is one using Hypertext Transfer Protocol,
	precede your address by http://, e.g.:
		http://www.emich.edu/

	If the site is one where information is available by ftp,
	precede your address by ftp://, e.g.:
		ftp://www.emich.edu/

	If the site is one where information is available by telnet,
	precede your address by telnet://, e.g.:
		telnet://www.emich.edu/

	If the site is one where information is available by gopher,
	precede your address by gopher://, e.g.:
		gopher://www.emich.edu/

and so on.

The new site represents the beginning of our efforts to
make a genuinely hypertext LINGUIST available to subscribers.
We'll be adding more functionalities to the software as
the year progresses.

Anthony & Helen