7.13, Qs: Linguistics?,Phonemic Spelling,Folia Linguistica Hist.

The Linguist List linguist at tam2000.tamu.edu
Thu Jan 4 13:51:49 UTC 1996

LINGUIST List:  Vol-7-13. Thu Jan 4 1996. ISSN: 1068-4875. Lines:  96

Subject: 7.13, Qs: Linguistics?,Phonemic Spelling,Folia Linguistica Hist.

Editor for this issue: avaldez at emunix.emich.edu (Annemarie Valdez)

Date:  Tue, 02 Jan 1996 15:57:53 MST
From:  parkinsond at yvax.byu.edu (Dilworth B. Parkinson)
Subject:  Linguistics Needed!

2)
Date:  Tue, 02 Jan 1996 11:14:48 +0100
From:  hartmut at ruc.dk (Hartmut Haberland)
Subject:  Re: 6.1790, Disc: Phonemic Spelling

3)
Date:  Wed, 03 Jan 1996 18:24:05 EST
From:  amr at CS.Wayne.EDU (Alexis Manaster Ramer)
Subject:  Q: Folia Linguistica Historica

Date:  Tue, 02 Jan 1996 15:57:53 MST
From:  parkinsond at yvax.byu.edu (Dilworth B. Parkinson)

A year or so ago it was noted on LINGUIST that the army uses the term
"linguist" for job classifications involving interrogation, translation,
voice intercept, etc., i.e. jobs involving knowledge of another language,
but not necessarily involving any other background in the field of
Linguistics.
I thought you might be interested in the poster that recently appeared
around our university, advertising the fact that the Naval Reserve Unit in
our area currently has openings for persons who speak Bulgarian, Burmese,
Cambodian, Kurdish, etc. etc.  The large bold heading on this poster reads:

        LINGUISTICS NEEDED

Although this is most likely a typo, it would be interesting if the word
"linguistic" had actually developed the meaning "a person who speaks a
language well" in military circles.  You know: "He's a really good
linguistic." and "You'd better be careful with your grammar.  There's a
roomful of linguistics in there."  So although I'm sure most of you agree
that Linguistics is/are needed, I will leave it to my fellow linguistics to
figure out all the ramifications.
Dilworth Parkinson