7.24, Qs: IPA font and type-setting, Ling on ITV, Dissimilation t > p

The Linguist List linguist at tam2000.tamu.edu
Sat Jan 6 20:09:17 UTC 1996

LINGUIST List:  Vol-7-24. Sat Jan 6 1996. ISSN: 1068-4875. Lines:  128

Subject: 7.24, Qs: IPA font and type-setting, Ling on ITV, Dissimilation t > p

Editor for this issue: lveselin at emunix.emich.edu (Ljuba Veselinova)

Date:  Fri, 05 Jan 1996 14:57:13
From:  kirk at jean.ling.umu.se (Kirk Sullivan)
Subject:  IPA font and type-setting

2)
Date:  Fri, 05 Jan 1996 08:03:10 -1000
From:  campana at hawaii.edu (Mark Campana)
Subject:  Linguistics on ITV (fwd)

3)
Date:  Fri, 05 Jan 1996 21:10:39 +0100
From:  cpeust at gwdg.de (cpeust)
Subject:  Dissimilation t > p

Date:  Fri, 05 Jan 1996 14:57:13
From:  kirk at jean.ling.umu.se (Kirk Sullivan)

Some colleagues and I are are writing a paper which considers the
problems of phonetic typesetting.  We wish to ask you about your
experiences.  A short set of questions follow which we would like you
to answer and e-mail to kirk at ling.umu.se Many thanks for your time.

1) Which computer do you use to write documents on?

2) Which word-processing package or equivalent do you use?

3) Which IPA-fonts do you use?

4) Do the fonts you use cover the entire 1993 IPA-chart?

4a) If they do cover the entire chart are there any limitations
    on the use of diacritics etc?

4b) If they do not cover the entire chart what is missing?

5) Are the fonts you use available in a variety of different
   styles?

6) Do you find that the fonts are easily included in documents?

6a) If not, what is the problem?
6b) Do you think that the problem is due to the fonts or the
    word-processor you are using?

7) Do you have an example of a particularly frustrating/negative
   experience? For example, a particularly complex transcription which you
   could not get to typeset in a pleasing manner.

8) If you have used or use other fonts can you briefly compare them.

9) Are you generally satisfied?

10) What would you like to see improved?

11) Would you recommend the system you are using to someone else?

12) Any other comments you would like to make.