7.69, Qs: Double Negation, Poem by Dell Hymes, Malaysian Eng.

The Linguist List linguist at tam2000.tamu.edu
Wed Jan 17 05:17:15 UTC 1996

LINGUIST List:  Vol-7-69. Tue Jan 16 1996. ISSN: 1068-4875. Lines:  104

Subject: 7.69, Qs: Double Negation, Poem by Dell Hymes, Malaysian Eng.

Editor for this issue: avaldez at emunix.emich.edu (Annemarie Valdez)

Date:  Tue, 16 Jan 1996 14:24:54 +0200
From:  hiro-t at ias.tokushima-u.ac.jp (hiro-t)
Subject:  Query: Double negation: You cannot get something for nothing.

2)
Date:  Tue, 16 Jan 1996 11:59:45 +0100
From:  duchet at univ-poitiers.fr (Jean-Louis Duchet)
Subject:  Ref of poem by D.Hymes

3)
Date:  Wed, 17 Jan 1996 10:16:43 +0800
From:  mherrima at ecel.uwa.edu.au (Michael Herriman)
Subject:  Varieties of Malaysian English

Date:  Tue, 16 Jan 1996 14:24:54 +0200
From:  hiro-t at ias.tokushima-u.ac.jp (hiro-t)

Dear Linguists,
   I had a question from one of my students about the proverb
"You cannot get something for nothing." The question has three parts.

(i) Is this proverb frequently used in US and England? Have you ever
heard or used it?

(ii) Is this proverb's real meaning "Getting something for nothing
is the most expensive"?

(iii) Does this proverb have a semantic structure "It is NOT that we can
get something for nothing"?

I am looking forward to your comment, which I hope is an easy explanation.
Please e-mail me directly. I will post a summary soon. Thanks in advance.

Best wishes,

Hiroaki Tanaka, Tokushima University, Japan
E-mail:hiro-t at ias.tokushima-u.ac.jp