7.74, Qs: Children's games, Aborginal lgs, Trilingual ed

The Linguist List linguist at tam2000.tamu.edu
Wed Jan 17 18:43:07 UTC 1996

LINGUIST List:  Vol-7-74. Wed Jan 17 1996. ISSN: 1068-4875. Lines:  140

Subject: 7.74, Qs: Children's games, Aborginal lgs, Trilingual ed

Date:  Wed, 17 Jan 1996 10:29:30 GMT
From:  WIED6480 at VARNEY.IDBSU.EDU ("Jack Wiedrick")
Subject:  Children's games

2)
Date:  Wed, 17 Jan 1996 11:44:36 EST
From:  sarukkai at cs.rochester.edu ("Ramesh R. Sarukkai")
Subject:  Re: Aborginal Language with no grammar?

3)
Date:  Wed, 17 Jan 1996 07:26:39 PST
From:  rhahn at u.washington.edu ("R. F. Hahn")
Subject:  Trilingual Education

Date:  Wed, 17 Jan 1996 10:29:30 GMT
From:  WIED6480 at VARNEY.IDBSU.EDU ("Jack Wiedrick")

Dear anyone who can help me,

    The other day I was in a conversation with someone and the topic
of the children's game of tag came up.  More specifically, it struck
me as odd that the person selected to chase the others in this game is
referred to in English as 'it'.  I began to wonder what such a person
is called in other languages (I assume that other cultures also have
the game, or some form thereof).  The only other language I can answer
this question for is Japanese, where the person in question is called
_oni_ 'demon/devil, goblin, imp, etc.'  (The game itself is called
_onigokko_ 'oni-game'.)  I ask mainly out of curiosity, but I would be
interested to see if there were certain correlations with typological
characteristics of the languages, eg.  if there is a free-standing
neuter pronoun, is it always used?, etc.
    I certainly plan on posting a summary, and I'm looking forward to
seeing some interesting responses!

Jack Wiedrick

P.S.  In case there are those unfamiliar with the game called 'Tag' in
English, I'll offer a brief explanation.  A group of children (usually
more than two, I would think, but I suppose just two COULD play) gets
together and decides to single out one from among their group to be
'it.'  Whoever is 'it' then must remain in one spot long enough to
allow the other children to disperse (sometimes this is achieved by
forcing 'it' to count up to some predetermined number).  After a
sufficient amount of time has passed to allow this dispersion, 'it' is
then required to chase after the other children with the goal of
touching one of them.  If 'it' can touch one of the other children, he
or she is then relieved of 'it' status and the person touched becomes
the new 'it'.  The game usually continues in this manner until
everyone grows bored or becomes tired (or is called in by their
parents), or some combination of the above.