7.75, Qs: British Theatrical Language, Yiddish/English

The Linguist List linguist at tam2000.tamu.edu
Thu Jan 18 06:29:27 UTC 1996

LINGUIST List:  Vol-7-75. Thu Jan 18 1996. ISSN: 1068-4875. Lines:  88

Subject: 7.75, Qs: British Theatrical Language, Yiddish/English

Editor for this issue: avaldez at emunix.emich.edu (Annemarie Valdez)

Date:  Wed, 17 Jan 1996 10:47:10 GMT
From:  michael at quinion.demon.co.uk ("Michael B. Quinion")
Subject:  British Theatrical Language

2)
Date:  Wed, 17 Jan 1996 14:55:55 EST
From:  GLICK at vaxsar.vassar.edu (Douglas J. Glick)
Subject:  Yiddish/English

Date:  Wed, 17 Jan 1996 10:47:10 GMT
From:  michael at quinion.demon.co.uk ("Michael B. Quinion")

There is a British theatrical and showman's language, which I have
heard called 'palare', about which I am seeking more information. To
identify it unambiguously, it is the language which older British
listeners will remember being guyed in the radio comedy show "Beyond
Our Ken" in which two camp theatrical types say things like "how dolly
to vada your eek" and which includes words such as 'palone' for woman,
'lally' for leg and 'riah' for hair.  If anyone can send me references
by e-mail to michael at quinion.demon.co.uk for books or articles about
it, I shall be most grateful.  If appropriate, I can then re-post a
short bibliography.

  Michael B. Quinion                         Thornbury, Bristol, UK
  Michael Quinion Associates home page  :  <http://clever.net/mqa/>
  See 'World Wide Words' at   :  <http://clever.net/quinion/words/>