7.120, Qs: Relative Clause,Sociolinguists,Swedish Swear Words

The Linguist List linguist at tam2000.tamu.edu
Thu Jan 25 23:18:53 UTC 1996

LINGUIST List:  Vol-7-120. Thu Jan 25 1996. ISSN: 1068-4875. Lines:  146

Subject: 7.120, Qs:  Relative Clause,Sociolinguists,Swedish Swear Words

Editor for this issue: avaldez at emunix.emich.edu (Annemarie Valdez)

Date:  Thu, 25 Jan 1996 09:02:04 EST
From:  yjang at husc.harvard.edu (Youngjun Jang)
Subject:  relative clause (acquisition) (fwd)

2)
Date:  Thu, 25 Jan 1996 12:28:54 PST
From:  operacao at marajo.secom.ufpa.br (Operacao da RNP)
Subject:  Contacts with sociolinguists

3)
Date:  Thu, 25 Jan 1996 23:38:41 +0100
From:  hcanne at xs4all.nl (hcanne)
Subject:  (Swedish) swear words

Date:  Thu, 25 Jan 1996 09:02:04 EST
From:  yjang at husc.harvard.edu (Youngjun Jang)

Date: Wed, 24 Jan 1996 23:10:01 -0500 (EST)
From: Youngjun Jang<yjang at husc.harvard.edu>

Dear linguists,
Korean/Japanese and many other SOV lgs have so-called internally headed
relative clause IHRC along with externally headed relative clause EHRC,
as shown in (1):
(1) a.  [ecey       sa-n]    sinmun     => EHRC
         yesterday  buy-REL  newspaper
    b.  [ecey       sinmun     sa-n]   kes   => IHRC
         yesterday  newspaper  buy-REL KES
        'the newspaper that I bought yesterday'
Surprisingly, Korean/Japanese children have a different relative form
like that in (2):
(2)     [ecey       san-n]  kes sinmun
         yesterday  buy-REL KES newspaper
        '(literally) the newspaper, the thing that I bought yesterday'

The pattern in (2) is ungrammatical or extremely odd; that is, children
cannot access to such primary linguistic data (PLD). In other words,
Korean/Japanese children use the following forms:

(3) adult Korean:  nora-n     cha
                   yellow-REL car
                   'yellow car'
    child Korean:  nora-n     kes cha
                   yellow-REL KES  car
                  'yellow thing, car'

My two questions are: (1) how do they acquire such
never-heard/ungrammatical constructions? (2) how do they get rid of such
patterns later?

Could any one of you provide me with such data in other languages? I am
particularly interested in Turkish, Qechua, or other head-final languages.
Thanks very much.

Youngjun Jang:    yjang at husc.harvard.edu