7.123, Disc: Emphasis

The Linguist List linguist at tam2000.tamu.edu
Fri Jan 26 16:21:53 UTC 1996

LINGUIST List:  Vol-7-123. Fri Jan 26 1996. ISSN: 1068-4875. Lines:  194

Subject: 7.123, Disc: Emphasis

Date:  Thu, 25 Jan 1996 15:12:15 EST
From:  haroldfs at ccat.sas.upenn.edu ("Harold F. Schiffman")
Subject:  Re: 7.113, Disc: Re: 7.88, Emphasis

2)
Date:  Thu, 25 Jan 1996 16:05:16 PST
From:  jrubba at harp.aix.calpoly.edu (Johanna Rubba)
Subject:  Emphasis

3)
Date:  25 Jan 1996 15:46:10 +0800
From:  david_weiss at gbinc.com ("David Weiss")

4)
Date:  Thu, 25 Jan 1996 23:54:26 PST
From:  dasher at netcom.com (Anton Sherwood)
Subject:  Disc: 7.113/7.88, Emphasis

5)
Date:  Fri, 26 Jan 1996 10:27:37 +0100
From:  regine at arbuckle.sfs.nphil.uni-tuebingen.de (Regine Eckardt)

Date:  Thu, 25 Jan 1996 15:12:15 EST
From:  haroldfs at ccat.sas.upenn.edu ("Harold F. Schiffman")

I have also noticed the use of emphatic *do* and other auxiliaries in
airline announcements in the states, e.g.

Ladies and Gentlemen, we *are* preparing our descent into Chicago's Ohare
International Airport so we *do* ask that you *do* remain seated until
the plane has come to a complete stop at the gate. Let me say that we
*have* enjoyed having you on board today, and hope that you *will* choose
(name of airline) the next time you fly.

Hal Schiffman