7.124, Misc: Spelling, Lang & the Millenium

The Linguist List linguist at tam2000.tamu.edu
Fri Jan 26 22:19:56 UTC 1996

LINGUIST List:  Vol-7-124. Fri Jan 26 1996. ISSN: 1068-4875. Lines:  91

Subject: 7.124, Misc: Spelling, Lang & the Millenium

Date:  Sun, 21 Jan 1996 16:37:29
From:  rkephart at osprey.unf.edu (Ron Kephart)
Subject:  Re: vol-6-1756, Spelling

2)
Date:  Wed, 24 Jan 1996 07:46:33 CST
From:  lhartman at siu.edu (Lee Hartman)
Subject:  Language and the Millenium

Date:  Sun, 21 Jan 1996 16:37:29
From:  rkephart at osprey.unf.edu (Ron Kephart)

Two languages that I can think of whose spelling systems are about as
phonemic as you can probably get are Haitian Creole (the official
orthography: see Ann Pale Kreyol, by Albert Valdman) and Aymara.  In the
case of Aymara, I am referring to the system devised by Juan de Dios
Yapita, a native speaker. See The Aymara Language in its Social and
Cultural Context, ed by M. J. Hardman.

In 1980-84 I developed a phonemic spelling system for Creole English as
spoken in Carriacou, Grenada, and used it successfully with school
children there.  However, it has no official status and therefore I
susppose doesn't count!