7.127, Qs: PhD Committees, Fishman Reference, GB/P&P List

The Linguist List linguist at tam2000.tamu.edu
Sat Jan 27 07:16:16 UTC 1996

LINGUIST List:  Vol-7-127. Sat Jan 27 1996. ISSN: 1068-4875. Lines:  121

Subject: 7.127, Qs: PhD Committees, Fishman Reference, GB/P&P List

Editor for this issue: avaldez at emunix.emich.edu (Annemarie Valdez)

Date:  Fri, 26 Jan 1996 11:17:45 CST
From:  eubank at jove.acs.unt.edu (Lynn Alan Eubank)
Subject:  'outside' member on PhD committees

2)
Date:  Fri, 26 Jan 1996 10:25:45 -0900
From:  ffri at aurora.alaska.edu (IUTZI-MITCHELL ROY _)
Subject:  Seeking Fishman refs

3)
Date:  26 Jan 1996 14:44:56 CST
From:  TWRIGHT at ACCDVM.ACCD.EDU
Subject:  Minimality/GB/P&P

Date:  Fri, 26 Jan 1996 11:17:45 CST
From:  eubank at jove.acs.unt.edu (Lynn Alan Eubank)

Here at the Univ of North Texas, the administration has dropped the
requirement that PhD committees include an 'outside' member (i.e.,
a faculty member from some other department); individual departments
may elect to retain the 'outside' requirement. As one might expect,
the whole affair has generated a good deal of heated debate. I would
like to hear from folks at other PhD-granting institutions on what
their policy is. Specifically,

1. What institution are you affiliated with?

1. Does your institution require an 'outside' member on PhD committees?

2. Is the 'outside' requirement a departmental option only?

I'll post whatever folks let me know ...

thanks,
Lynn Eubank
EUBANK at JOVE.ACS.UNT.EDU