7.135, Disc: Emphasis

The Linguist List linguist at tam2000.tamu.edu
Sat Jan 27 20:43:59 UTC 1996

LINGUIST List:  Vol-7-135. Sat Jan 27 1996. ISSN: 1068-4875. Lines:  153

Subject: 7.135, Disc: Emphasis

Editor for this issue: avaldez at emunix.emich.edu (Annemarie Valdez)

Date:  Fri, 26 Jan 1996 11:06:56 PST
From:  slobin at cogsci.Berkeley.EDU (Dan I. Slobin)
Subject:  Re:  7.123, Disc: Emphasis

2)
Date:  Fri, 26 Jan 1996 15:40:52 EST
From:  bnevin at cisco.com (Bruce Nevin)

3)
Date:  Fri, 26 Jan 1996 13:52:20 MST
From:  koontz at boulder.nist.gov (John E. Koontz)

4)
Date:  Fri, 26 Jan 1996 19:13:58 CST
From:  mlrlm at sunset.backbone.olemiss.edu (Rebecca Larche Moreton)

Date:  Fri, 26 Jan 1996 11:06:56 PST
From:  slobin at cogsci.Berkeley.EDU (Dan I. Slobin)

When the PBS News Hour was still McNeill/Lehrer, I noticed that
Lehrer emphasized copulas and auxiliaries whereas McNeill did not.
This occurred (and still does) in the introduction of discussions
following the news summary ("Our first topic IS the crisis in X";
"Now we DO go on to a newsmaker interview with X").  McNeill happened
to be giving a reading at Black Oak Books in Berkeley a couple of
years ago, and I asked him about this practice.  He said he had,
indeed, noticed it in Lehrer's speech, and didn't know why Jim
did it, but that he considered it inappropriate for himself.  As I
recall, he said it was a kind of general tendency in journalese
that he deplored.

Dan Slobin (slobin at cogsci)
Psychology, University of California, Berkeley