7.959, Qs: Scripts, Yes&no, Speech sound, Machine translation

The Linguist List linguist at tam2000.tamu.edu
Mon Jul 1 13:36:35 UTC 1996

LINGUIST List:  Vol-7-959. Mon Jul 1 1996. ISSN: 1068-4875. Lines:  167

Subject: 7.959, Qs: Scripts, Yes&no, Speech sound, Machine translation

Date:  Sun, 30 Jun 0400 19:02:41
From:  dsolnit at umich.edu ("david b. solnit")
Subject:  Indic scripts, standard Lao

2)
Date:  Mon, 01 Jul 1996 07:38:55 BST
From:  maya at paris7.jussieu.fr (Marina Yaguello)
Subject:  Yes and No

3)
Date:  Mon, 01 Jul 1996 16:36:52 +0900
From:  s-tokuma at hoffman.cc.sophia.ac.jp (Shinichi Tokuma)
Subject:  speech sound perception

4)
Date:  Mon, 01 Jul 1996 13:22:05 BST
From:  balka at llsun10.essex.ac.uk (Balkan L)
Subject:  Machine translation

Date:  Sun, 30 Jun 0400 19:02:41
From:  dsolnit at umich.edu ("david b. solnit")

Dear friends,
1.  Is it correct to say that the standard language of Laos is based on
the speech of Vientiane?  If not, what is a better characterization of
standard Lao?

2. Most of the scripts of Southeast Asia are of Indic origin:  Mon,
Burmese, Shan, Khmer, Thai, Lao, White Tai, Kavi and more.  I'm pretty
sure it's incorrect to say that they are derived from Devanagari:
Florian Coulmas in _The Writing Systems of the World_ (Blackwell, 1993,
pp 182, 191) states that the SE Asian scripts are derived from 'the Pali
scripts', which are in turn derived from the Gupta script (as is
Devanagari).  I'd like to check that this is mostly correct, and in
particular that 'Pali script(s)' is an accepted and accurate
designation.  Thanks for any and all help.
David Solnit
dsolnit at umich.edu