7.966, Disc: Pro-drop languages

The Linguist List linguist at tam2000.tamu.edu
Tue Jul 2 01:11:02 UTC 1996

LINGUIST List:  Vol-7-966. Mon Jul 1 1996. ISSN: 1068-4875. Lines:  81

Subject: 7.966, Disc: Pro-drop languages

Editor for this issue: lveselin at emunix.emich.edu (Ljuba Veselinova)

Date:  01 Jul 1996 03:06:15 EDT
From:  101457.3114 at CompuServe.COM (John Verhaar)
Subject:  Re: 7.946, Sum: Pro-drop languages

2)
Date:  Mon, 01 Jul 1996 09:48:50 CDT
From:  dharris at las-inc.com (Dave Harris)
Subject:  Re pro-drop, British dialects

Date:  01 Jul 1996 03:06:15 EDT
From:  101457.3114 at CompuServe.COM (John Verhaar)

Friends:

	I feel sceptical about the term "pro-drop languages", mainly
for two reasons: [a] you can't "drop" what isn't there; [b] the lack
of need for pronouns correlates with so many different things.
	As one colleague has pointed out, when verbs are marked for
person (subject), as in Italian, pronouns are often informationally
redundant. But also, many languages without verb agreement leave out
deictic pronouns for reasons of deemphasis of their referents. Again,
the ergative voice in languages having such a voice leaves out object
pronouns. Then, head-marking languages leave out pronouns for which
the verb is marked not because the verb is marked for them but (I
believe) because (as Johanna Nichols has pointed out) dependent
arguments are not "governed" by the head. Then, languages which can
never drop subject pronouns in simple sentences, can do without them
in complex sentences for reasons of coreferential reference. Also
languages like English and Dutch, which always need pronominal
subjects (and objects), can dispense with them in imperatives, but
even here there are differences (English: _Someone get me a chair_;
_You do that!_; but in Dutch imperatives can have no subjects at all.
	So "pro-drop" may be a name filled with projection from one
typology, and typologically that name is rather unrevealing if it
indicates a supposedly unified category.
					Typologically yours,
					John Verhaar