7.980, Qs: Syntactic complexity, Infixing in Eng, CD-ROM dictionaries

The Linguist List linguist at tam2000.tamu.edu
Fri Jul 5 04:05:41 UTC 1996

LINGUIST List:  Vol-7-980. Thu Jul 4 1996. ISSN: 1068-4875. Lines:  124

Subject: 7.980, Qs: Syntactic complexity, Infixing in Eng, CD-ROM dictionaries

Editor for this issue: lveselin at emunix.emich.edu (Ljuba Veselinova)

Date:  Wed, 03 Jul 1996 19:50:01 CDT
From:  sl70 at musuko.spc.uchicago.edu (Stuart Luppescu)
Subject:  Q: Computing syntactic complexity

2)
Date:  Thu, 04 Jul 1996 12:38:17 +0800
From:  aclynes at ubd.edu.bn (Adrian Clynes)
Subject:  Infixing in English

3)
Date:  Thu, 04 Jul 1996 17:05:21 +0900
From:  gmodica at fh.seikei.ac.jp (Guy Modica)
Subject:  CD-ROM dictionaries

Date:  Wed, 03 Jul 1996 19:50:01 CDT
From:  sl70 at musuko.spc.uchicago.edu (Stuart Luppescu)

I'm involved in a study involving an investigation of what makes some
reading passages harder to understand and others easy. I would like to
compute an index of syntactic complexity, so my question is two-fold:
1) Is there a computer parsing program available that can analyze text
adequately? and 2) What kind of structures that such a program would
identify be indicative of higher or lower complexity? I would guess
that a center embedding such as in the previous sentence would be on
the high end of the complexity scale, but what else? Your help is
appreciated.
Stuart Luppescu | ``The keys to success are honesty and University of
Chicago |fair dealing. If you can fake those,
sl70 at musuko.spc.uchicago.edu | you've got it made.'' --Groucho(?)
:MJ8 $HCRF`H~$NIc(EUC) | [Finger for PGP public key] >> Sent on
07/03/96 at 19:50:01 with xfmail