7.996, Sum: Role of consciousness in instructed Second Lg Acquisition

The Linguist List linguist at tam2000.tamu.edu
Mon Jul 8 23:02:28 UTC 1996

LINGUIST List:  Vol-7-996. Mon Jul 8 1996. ISSN: 1068-4875. Lines:  103

Subject: 7.996, Sum: Role of consciousness in instructed Second Lg Acquisition

Editor for this issue: lveselin at emunix.emich.edu (Ljuba Veselinova)

Date:  Mon, 08 Jul 1996 13:35:38 BST
From:  TLANGHORST at cip.lili.Uni-Osnabrueck.DE ("Tanja Langhorst")
Subject:        Sum:Role of consciousness in instructed Second Language Acquis.

Date:  Mon, 08 Jul 1996 13:35:38 BST
From:  TLANGHORST at cip.lili.Uni-Osnabrueck.DE ("Tanja Langhorst")

Dear linguists,
some time ago I asked for info on "The role of consciousness in
Instructed Second Language Acquisition".
First of all, many thanks to :
Kirk Belnap <belnap at byu.edu>
Ngoni Chipere <nc206 at hermes.cam.ac.uk>
Debra M. Hardison <hardison at indiana.edu>
Dorine S. Houston <V2188G at VM.TEMPLE.EDU>
Ming-wei Ernest Lee <PSS126 at bangor.ac.uk>
M.Paradis <PARADIS at LANGS.Lan.McGill.CA>
Jill Pelletieri <jlpelletieri at ucdavis.edu>
H.Stephen Straight <sstraigh at bingsuns.cc.binghamton.edu>

for suggesting the following references:

1. The best reference to start with is probably Rod Ellis:
   -1994, "The study of Second Language Acquisition". Oxford Univ.
    Press.
2. R.Ellis has also published an article in:
    Nick Ellis.1994."Implicit and Explicit Learning of Languages."
    London: Academic Press.
    This book also contains very good articles by Krashen, Schmidt
    and Paradis and it helped me a lot!
3. An article by Peter Robinson was recommended twice:
   'Attention, memory, and the noticing hypothesis' in:"Language
    Learning". Volume 45:2.June 1995.283-331.
4. The Amer Assn for Applied Linguistics Annual Conference in Chicago
    featured a number of papers, among them:
    -Attention-based approaches to selecting and implementing tasks,
    by P. Skehan, Thames Valley U, <skehan p at s.tvu.ac.uk>
    -Explicit vs. Implicit learning of an artificial phrase-structure
    grammar, by M. Warschauer, U Hawaii-Manoa, <markw at hawaii.edu>
5. Teresa Cadiero.1995.'Formal instruction from a processing
    perspective' in: "Modern Language Journal".79:2.179-193.
6.Nick Ellis.1996. 'Consciousness in Second Language Acquisition: A
    review of field studies and laboratory experiments' in the latest
    issue of "Language Awareness".
7. Another article that was very helpfull:
   Schmidt, Richard W.. 'The role of consciousness in Second Language
    Learning'in:" Applied Linguistics", 11. 129-158.
8. The web has some good articles aswell, under "Psyche" (an
    interdisciplinary journal of research on consciousness) I found:
    Willingham & Preuss.1995. 'The Death of Implicit Memory' .
    http://psyche.cs.monash.edu.au/volume2-1/psyche-95-2-15-implicit-
    1-willingham.html.
9. Cohen, Andrew. 'Language Learning: Insights for learners, teachers,
    and researchers. (?)
10. for an older reference: Rubin, Joan.1975. 'What the good language
    learner can teach us'in: "TESOL Quarterly", 9:1. 41-51.

While reading through these articles and also through others, e.g. by
Barry McLaughlin, I came across another question: Can we use the word
"Consciousness" as a scientific term or does it have a rather
subjective meaning so that we should use more specific terms for the
discription of processes in SLA, so that the constructs are testable
and falsifiable?

If you have any oppinion to this question or anything more to add,
please feel free to send it to me !

Many thanks again!
         Tanja Langhorst <TLANGHORST at cip.lili.Uni-Osnabrueck.DE>