7.1022, Qs: Translation and Dictionary software, Grimshaw & Vikner

The Linguist List linguist at tam2000.tamu.edu
Sat Jul 13 17:32:27 UTC 1996

LINGUIST List:  Vol-7-1022. Sat Jul 13 1996. ISSN: 1068-4875. Lines:  94

Subject: 7.1022, Qs: Translation and Dictionary software, Grimshaw & Vikner

Date:  Fri, 12 Jul 1996 07:16:54 EDT
From:  jaubert at cpcug.org (Jack Aubert)
Subject:  Commercial Translation Software

2)
Date:  Fri, 12 Jul 1996 10:04:36 PDT
From:  e.educa at SERVER1.CODETEL.NET.DO (Educa)
Subject:  Information about " how can I made a dictionary using the computer "?

3)
Date:  Fri, 12 Jul 1996 10:56:32 EDT
From:  yjung at husc.harvard.edu (Yunsun Jung)
Subject:  Grimshaw & Vikner's paper

Date:  Fri, 12 Jul 1996 07:16:54 EDT
From:  jaubert at cpcug.org (Jack Aubert)

I am curious about the current state of commercially available
PC-based translation software.  I am deeply skeptical that we will be
able to develop "unattended" machine translation until we can get the
machines to pass the Turing test for artificial intellligence, but can
see how translation software could be a useful "power tool" for a
translator at one end of the spectrum and a kind of "rough gist"
generator for a non-linguist at the other.  I wonder if any linguist
subscribers have had any practical experience working with this kind
of software.  Is this stuff ready for real-world use yet?  I see an
occasional review in the PC magazines, but don't trust them without
knowing more about the reviewers' credentials.  Apparently Globalink
has a dominant market share.

Jack Aubert
E-Mail: jaubert at cpcug.org
Homepage: http://www.cpcug.org/user/jaubert