7.1027, Disc: Journal proliferation: pro & con

The Linguist List linguist at tam2000.tamu.edu
Mon Jul 15 13:32:42 UTC 1996

LINGUIST List:  Vol-7-1027. Mon Jul 15 1996. ISSN: 1068-4875. Lines:  52

Subject: 7.1027, Disc: Journal proliferation: pro & con

Date:  Thu, 11 Jul 1996 16:44:27 EDT
From:  mcovingt at aisun1.ai.uga.edu (Michael Covington)
Subject:  Re: 7.1016, Sum: Journal proliferation: pro & con

Date:  Thu, 11 Jul 1996 16:44:27 EDT
From:  mcovingt at aisun1.ai.uga.edu (Michael Covington)

I want to second M. Meechan's point that publishing in a journal, even
a minor one, is better than just circulating papers to friends.

One peculiarity of linguistics compared to some other fields is that in
linguistics, relatively few journals are considered respectable, and
publishing in a "bad" journal can allegedly lower a person's reputation.
Early in my career, I was warned not to publish in certain journals.

That is an unfortunate situation because it leads to people leaving
their work entirely unpublished.  It would be better off to make it
available, even in the humblest journal.  That's what journals are for.

New journals are welcome, as long as they don't charge outrageous
prices.

-
Michael A. Covington                http://www.ai.uga.edu/faculty/covington/
Artificial Intelligence Center                                           <><
The University of Georgia                Unless specifically indicated, I am
Athens, GA 30602-7415 U.S.A.                not speaking for the University.