7.1033, Qs: Eco quote, Deontic modalities, Imperative-aorist form

The Linguist List linguist at tam2000.tamu.edu
Tue Jul 16 15:09:54 UTC 1996

LINGUIST List:  Vol-7-1033. Tue Jul 16 1996. ISSN: 1068-4875. Lines:  94

Subject: 7.1033, Qs: Eco quote, Deontic modalities, Imperative-aorist form

Date:  16 Jul 1996 03:04:37 EDT
From:  101233.3041 at CompuServe.COM (Roger Depledge)
Subject:  Eco quote

2)
Date:  Tue, 16 Jul 1996 14:17:55 +0200
From:  ross at ipv85.unipv.it (Andrea Rossetti)
Subject:  deontic modalities

3)
Date:  Tue, 16 Jul 1996 09:18:29 +1000
From:  linguist at tam2000.tamu.edu (The Linguist List) (by way of z.gabsi at uws.edu
.au
       (Zouhir Gabsi))
Subject:  The imperative-aorist form in Arabic

Date:  16 Jul 1996 03:04:37 EDT
From:  101233.3041 at CompuServe.COM (Roger Depledge)

"Communication is a moral question: Who is to make more effort, the
person sending the message or the person receiving it?"

Thus my garbled memory of an interview with Umberto Eco in ~The
Guardian~ (UK), some time in the 1980s. Does anyone know the original
Italian from Eco's prolific work? Or, even more gratifyingly, an
earlier formulation of the same idea?

Roger Depledge                                   Linguists must not,
Freelance translator                                 repeat NOT,
Toulouse                                           be prescriptive.