7.1051, Misc: Indic scripts, Multilinguality

The Linguist List linguist at tam2000.tamu.edu
Fri Jul 19 20:54:13 UTC 1996

LINGUIST List:  Vol-7-1051. Fri Jul 19 1996. ISSN: 1068-4875. Lines:  99

Subject: 7.1051, Misc: Indic scripts, Multilinguality

Date:  Thu, 11 Jul 1996 22:57:26 CDT
From:  pdaniels at press-gopher.uchicago.edu (Peter Daniels)
Subject:  Re: 7.1013, Disc: Indic scripts

2)
Date:  Wed, 17 Jul 1996 13:38:49 +0200
From:  L.M.Fosse at internet.no (Lars Martin Fosse)
Subject:  Re: 7.1037, Disc: Multilinguality

Date:  Thu, 11 Jul 1996 22:57:26 CDT
From:  pdaniels at press-gopher.uchicago.edu (Peter Daniels)

I thank Dr. Fosse for the characterization of "Pali." The term,
however, does not appear in the index of Masica's *Indo-Aryan
Languages*, which makes me think it is not a part of current
(linguistic) scholarship; the opening paragraph of the Nauka **The
Paali Language* (by T. Y. Elizarenkova and V. N. Toporov, 1965;
English, 1976) reads as follows:

The Paali language is one of the early representatives of the
Indo-Aryan linguistic group. It belongs to the wide range of Middle
Indian dialects which were generally used in India in an oral form as
early as the middle of the first millennium B.C.; later they came into
use also in a written form. Even before the Christian era Paali spread
to Ceylon, and on the threshold of the second millen- nium A.D. it
reached India's eastern neighbors. In some of these countries and
above all in Ceylon, Paali exists as the language of Buddhism (and in
some in- stances as the language of a cultural tradition) even in our
own time.

This description cannot, it seems to me, to refer to any sort of
*linguistic* unity, i.e. there cannot have been a single language used
over 1500 (or 2500!)  years throughout South and Southeast Asia. I
haven't taken the time to discover whether this book describes the
language of a restricted group of texts, or whether it includes
numerous statements regarding variation (as would be neces- sary in a
general grammar of "Aramaic", with which I am much more familiar, and
which has been used over a comparable stretch of time and space).