7.1067, Qs: English Grammar, Word Association, Complements for _know_

The Linguist List linguist at tam2000.tamu.edu
Wed Jul 24 14:26:19 UTC 1996

LINGUIST List:  Vol-7-1067. Wed Jul 24 1996. ISSN: 1068-4875. Lines:  130

Subject: 7.1067, Qs: English Grammar, Word Association, Complements for _know_

Editor for this issue: lveselin at emunix.emich.edu (Ljuba Veselinova)

Date:  Tue, 23 Jul 1996 16:43:37 BST
From:  L.A.Gonzalez at reading.ac.uk (Luis Alberto Gonzalez)
Subject:  Grammar

2)
Date:  Tue, 23 Jul 1996 16:46:39 BST
From:  L.A.Gonzalez at reading.ac.uk (Luis Alberto Gonzalez)

3)
Date:  Tue, 23 Jul 1996 18:19:18 GMT
From:  104LYN at muse.arts.wits.ac.za ("M. Lynne Murphy")
Subject:        word association

4)
Date:  Tue, 23 Jul 1996 16:42:56 CDT
From:  nee1 at midway.uchicago.edu (Barbara Need)
Subject:  complements for _know_

Date:  Tue, 23 Jul 1996 16:43:37 BST
From:  L.A.Gonzalez at reading.ac.uk (Luis Alberto Gonzalez)

I would like to know if somebody can tell me when English verbs are
followed by 'that' compulsorily.  Is there any pattern to know when
'that' is optional or when it is not ?