7.1077, Jobs: Postdoc in Congnitive Science, Lx-related software job

The Linguist List linguist at tam2000.tamu.edu
Fri Jul 26 15:04:28 UTC 1996

LINGUIST List:  Vol-7-1077. Fri Jul 26 1996. ISSN: 1068-4875. Lines:  156

Subject: 7.1077, Jobs: Postdoc in Congnitive Science, Lx-related software job

Editor for this issue: lveselin at emunix.emich.edu (Ljuba Veselinova)

Date:  Wed, 24 Jul 1996 15:52:27 EDT
From:  michael at kolmogorov.cog.jhu.edu (Michael Brent)
Subject:  Postdoc announcement

2)
Date:  Fri, 26 Jul 1996 10:17:21 EDT
From:  lisae at resumix.com (Lisa Eckstein)
Subject:  Linguistics-related software job in Silicon Valley

Date:  Wed, 24 Jul 1996 15:52:27 EDT
From:  michael at kolmogorov.cog.jhu.edu (Michael Brent)

	      POSTDOCTORAL FELLOWSHIP IN COGNITIVE SCIENCE

COMPUTATIONAL MODELING OF LANGUAGE ACQUISITION AND LANGUAGE PROCESSING

Available projects include:

  o Speech segmentation and word discovery
  o The acquisition of phonology
  o The acquisition of syntactic categories

The fellow will also have the opportunity to develop new projects.

Applicants should have:

  o Experience building a large software system in C or C++
  o Serious interest in language acquisition and/or
    language processing as natural sciences

Knowledge of theoretical linguistics, probability, and statistics are
helpful.

The position is funded by an NIH grant to Michael Brent.  Funding
starts in the fall of 1996 (exact date negotiable) and is guaranteed
for one year.  The fellow is expected to seek outside funding for at
least one additional year.

Contact:

Michael Brent				email:	brent at jhu.edu
Department of Cognitive Science		fax:	410-516-8020
Johns Hopkins University
Baltimore, MD 21218
USA

http://www.cogsci.jhu.edu/