7.1084, Qs: Origins, Resultatives, Sign Lg, Dictionary

The Linguist List linguist at tam2000.tamu.edu
Wed Jul 31 05:00:17 UTC 1996

LINGUIST List:  Vol-7-1084. Tue Jul 30 1996. ISSN: 1068-4875. Lines:  176

Subject: 7.1084, Qs: Origins, Resultatives, Sign Lg, Dictionary

Date:  Sat, 27 Jul 1996 16:18:08 BST
From:  L.A.Gonzalez at reading.ac.uk (Luis Alberto Gonzalez)
Subject:  Origin of expressions

2)
Date:  Mon, 29 Jul 1996 16:56:23 PDT
From:  miga at u.washington.edu (Michael Gamon)
Subject:  resultatives

3)
Date:  Mon, 29 Jul 1996 16:47:07 +0200
From:  avg at sun1.cip.fak14.uni-muenchen.de (AVG Project)
Subject:  Query on Sign Language Descriptions

4)
Date:  Mon, 29 Jul 1996 15:39:03 MDT
From:  kirk_belnap at byu.edu (Kirk Belnap)
Subject:  dictionary how-to's

Date:  Sat, 27 Jul 1996 16:18:08 BST
From:  L.A.Gonzalez at reading.ac.uk (Luis Alberto Gonzalez)

Can anybody answer if they know the origin of any of the following:
            a) Gordon Bennet
            b) Jack the lad
            c) The Big Apple (for New York)
Thanks.
Date:  Mon, 29 Jul 1996 16:56:23 PDT
From:  miga at u.washington.edu (Michael Gamon)

I was asked to forward the following message to you for posting on the
LINGUISTLIST.

Please direct replies to the address mentioned at the end.

Sincerely,

Michael Gamon.

(text)------------

It has been repeatedly observed in the literature
that a resultative phrase can only be predicated of an
(underlying) object (cf. Levin & Rappaport-Hovav 1995, Chapter 2).
This is clearly true for English.  But there are languages like
Finnish and Korean, where a resultative can also be predicated of
the subject of a transitive verb, as illustrated by the following
sentences (where the resultative phrases contain APs, not finite
verbs as in the English translations):

Finnish (M. Vilkuna (p.c.)):

 Maria katseli olympialaisia     silm"ans"a      kipeiksi.
 Maria watched olympic-games-PAR eye-PL:ACC-3Px  sore-PL-TRA
  'Maria watched the Olympic Games till her eyes ached.'

Korean (S. Kim (p.c.)):

 Moksanim-un chim-i     malukey wuli-eykey selkyohasi-ess-ta.
 pastor-TOP  tongue-NOM dry     we-DAT     preach-HON-PAST-DEC
 'The pastor preached [to] us [till his] tongue [became] dry.'

Does anyone know of other languages that behave like Finnish
or Korean?  If I get sufficient response, I will post the result on the
LINGUIST net.  Please respond directly to: maling at volen.brandeis.edu

Appreciatively,

Joan Maling