7.1091, Qs: Buzz-words, E. Hermann article, "Merry X-mas" in Hawaiian

The Linguist List linguist at tam2000.tamu.edu
Wed Jul 31 18:56:20 UTC 1996

LINGUIST List:  Vol-7-1091. Wed Jul 31 1996. ISSN: 1068-4875. Lines:  100

Subject: 7.1091, Qs: Buzz-words, E. Hermann article, "Merry X-mas" in Hawaiian

Date:  Mon, 29 Jul 1996 08:47:00 CDT
From:  caroline at sqn.com (caroline nachman)
Subject:  buzz-word lists

2)
Date:  Wed, 31 Jul 1996 14:26:00 -0000
From:  geoffs at cogs.susx.ac.uk (Geoffrey Sampson)
Subject:  E. Hermann article

3)
Date:  Fri, 26 Jul 1996 11:13:02 +0200
From:  jaklad at ling.hum.aau.dk (Jakob Ladefoged)
Subject:  "Merry X-mas" (!) in Hawaiian

Date:  Mon, 29 Jul 1996 08:47:00 CDT
From:  caroline at sqn.com (caroline nachman)

        what is the scholarly term for the list of 50 - 150 buzz-words
[words, terms, phrases that have special meaning within context given]
that enables e.g. humanities student to understand discussion of
specific computer software, or PC geek to understand personal dating
column?  we have always referred to it as a "buzz-word set", but now
wish to put the correct name to it.
        was reminded of this when a U.K. scholar supplied such a list
which instantly made UK-based movies intelligible to me.
        thanks,
                caroline