7.811, Disc: Lg & dreams, -y, LSA

The Linguist List linguist at tam2000.tamu.edu
Sun Jun 2 13:59:04 UTC 1996

LINGUIST List:  Vol-7-811. Sun Jun 2 1996. ISSN: 1068-4875. Lines:  246

Subject: 7.811, Disc: Lg & dreams, -y, LSA

Date:  Sat, 01 Jun 1996 14:58:24 CDT
From:  pdaniels at press-gopher.uchicago.edu (Peter Daniels)
Subject:  Re: 7.804, Disc: Lg & dreams, -y

2)
Date:  Sun, 02 Jun 1996 12:56:27 +0200
From:  waruno at paradox.rz-berlin.mpg.de (Waruno Mahdi)
Subject:  Re: 7.780, Disc: Lg & dreams

3)
Date:  Sat, 01 Jun 1996 22:07:00 PDT
From:  IBENAWJ at MVS.OAC.UCLA.EDU (benji wald                          )
Subject:  dreams and elsewhere

4)
Date:  Sat, 01 Jun 1996 18:11:00 PDT
From:  IBENAWJ at MVS.OAC.UCLA.EDU (benji wald                          )
Subject:  defense of -y

5)
Date:  Sat, 01 Jun 1996 11:20:06 EDT
From:  kvt at husc.HARVARD.EDU (Karl Teeter)
Subject:  Re: 7.805, Disc: LSA & Political Correctness

Date:  Sat, 01 Jun 1996 14:58:24 CDT
From:  pdaniels at press-gopher.uchicago.edu (Peter Daniels)

Rather than dreaming in a foreign language, I felt really good about having
"learned" French and German when I (a) could make jokes in them and (b) could
read a book in them for fun. The first book in another langauge was a French
book about French postage stamps (which I collected in those days) that for
some reason was in the Cornell U library. I think it was more a matter of
confidence than anything else.