7.814, Disc: LSA & Political Correctness

The Linguist List linguist at tam2000.tamu.edu
Mon Jun 3 21:18:38 UTC 1996

LINGUIST List:  Vol-7-814. Mon Jun 3 1996. ISSN: 1068-4875. Lines:  178

Subject: 7.814, Disc: LSA & Political Correctness

Editor for this issue: aristar at tam2000.tamu.edu (Anthony Rodrigues Aristar)

Date:  Sun, 02 Jun 1996 20:05:54 EDT
From:  mcovingt at aisun1.ai.uga.edu (Michael Covington)
Subject:  LSA: Political Correctness

2)
Date:  Mon, 03 Jun 1996 14:40:45 GMT
From:  104LYN at muse.arts.wits.ac.za ("M. Lynne Murphy")
Subject:        lsa and politics

3)
Date:  Mon, 03 Jun 1996 14:31:02 EDT
From:  dharris at las-inc.com (Dave Harris)
Subject:  comment on political correctness

4)
Date:  Sun, 02 Jun 1996 14:52:14 PDT
From:  fromkin at ucla.edu ("Victoria A. Fromkin")
Subject:  Re: 7.811, Disc: Lg & dreams, -y, LSA

Date:  Sun, 02 Jun 1996 20:05:54 EDT
From:  mcovingt at aisun1.ai.uga.edu (Michael Covington)

I seem to have started a thread that won't end, and maybe it's time to
bring it to a conclusion.  I was gratified to learn that I am not the
only person who is concerned about the LSA's political criteria for
meeting sites; in fact, many objected much more vehemently than I did.
The basic problem is that too much of the country is ruled out.

Recently, the LSA agreed to apply the tests to cities rather than
states; this probably makes Atlanta eligible.  I would encourage them
go to further in this direction.  Actual discrimination that would
interfere with an LSA meeting is one thing; the mere existence of some
obsolete laws on the books is quite another, and a site shouldn't be
accused of discrimination without careful examination of what the
local policies and practices actually are.

There is, after all, such a thing as regional prejudice too.  Some
Americans make unjustified assumptions about unfamiliar parts of their
nation.  (One colleague told me Georgia was "retrograde," which means
"moving backward" and is about as unlike Georgia as any description
can be.)  In seeking to combat other prejudices the LSA should guard
against inadvertently condoning this one.

I want to thank all of you for your input, both public and private.
-
Michael A. Covington                http://www.ai.uga.edu/faculty/covington/
Artificial Intelligence Center                                           <><
The University of Georgia                Unless specifically indicated, I am
Athens, GA 30602-7415 U.S.A.                not speaking for the University.