7.823, Disc: Non-standard grammar

The Linguist List linguist at tam2000.tamu.edu
Tue Jun 4 14:13:05 UTC 1996

LINGUIST List:  Vol-7-823. Tue Jun 4 1996. ISSN: 1068-4875. Lines:  95

Subject: 7.823, Disc: Non-standard grammar

Date:  Sun, 02 Jun 1996 15:56:06 +0400
From:  lrosenwald at WELLESLEY.EDU (Larry Rosenwald)
Subject:  RE: vol-7-806 Non standard grammar

2)
Date:  Mon, 03 Jun 1996 13:06:56 CDT
From:  emjones at midway.uchicago.edu (elaine marie jones)
Subject:  non-standard grammar

Date:  Sun, 02 Jun 1996 15:56:06 +0400
From:  lrosenwald at WELLESLEY.EDU (Larry Rosenwald)

William Labov addresses this question in "The Logic of Nonstandard
English";  he writes, "the reader will have noted that this analysis is
being carried out in standard English, and the inevitable challenge is:
why not write in BEV, then, or in your own nonstandard dialect?  The
fundamental reason, of course, one of firmly fixed social conventions.
All communities agree that standard English is the proper medium for
formal writing and public communication.  Furthermore, it seems likely
that standard English has an advantage over BEV in explicit analysis of
surface forms, which is what we are doing here" (pp. 217-218 of
_Language in the Inner City_).
	I've always admired both Labov's courage in raising this question, and
his straightforward response to it.  But both his arguments depend on
assertions that are subject to evaluation, and I'm not sure what a
lengthy evaluation would yield.  Labov is writing in 1972;  is it in
fact _now_ the case that "all communities agree that standard English is
the proper medium for formal writing and public communication"?  And is
there any way to test the assertion, which Labov himself advances
tentatively, that standard English has an advantage "in explicit
analysis of surface forms"?
		Best, Larry Rosenwald (lrosenwald at wellesley.edu)