7.827, Sum: Textbooks on Pragmatics

The Linguist List linguist at tam2000.tamu.edu
Tue Jun 4 21:00:55 UTC 1996

LINGUIST List:  Vol-7-827. Tue Jun 4 1996. ISSN: 1068-4875. Lines:  55

Subject: 7.827, Sum: Textbooks on Pragmatics

Editor for this issue: lveselin at emunix.emich.edu (Ljuba Veselinova)

Date:  Tue, 04 Jun 1996 17:20:41 GMT
From:  BJuacaba at msn.com ("Beatriz Juacaba")
Subject:  Sum: Textbooks on Pragmatics

Date:  Tue, 04 Jun 1996 17:20:41 GMT
From:  BJuacaba at msn.com ("Beatriz Juacaba")

Dear linguists,

Many thanks to all of you who replied to my posting, and provided me with
useful comments. My thanks to: Gerardo Lorenzino, Susan Burt, Eva Delgado
Lavin, Lynne Murphy, Hans Ladegaard, Jan Tent, June Luchjenbroers, and Chad
Nilep.
Here is a summary of all the references sent in response to my query:

BLAKEMORE, D. (1992). Understanding utterances: An introduction to pragmatics,
Blackwell.
GREEN, G. (1989). Pragmatics and natural language understanding, Erlbaum.
GRUNDY, P. (1995). Doing pragmatics, Edward Arnold.
MEY, J. (1993). Pragmatics: An introduction, Blackwell. *(the most
recommended)
SCHIFFRIN, D. (1994). Approaches to discourse, Blackwell.
SPERBER, D. & WILSON, D. (1995, 2. ed.). Relevance: communication and
cognition, Blackwell.
THOMAS, J. (1995). Meaning in interaction: An introduction to pragmatics,
Longman.

New suggestions are welcome! If any other source is posted, I will let you
know.
Beatriz