7.830, Disc: Language and dreams

The Linguist List linguist at tam2000.tamu.edu
Wed Jun 5 15:04:11 UTC 1996

LINGUIST List:  Vol-7-830. Wed Jun 5 1996. ISSN: 1068-4875. Lines:  88

Subject: 7.830, Disc: Language and dreams

Date:  Fri, 31 May 1996 09:17:49 EDT
From:  kvt at husc.HARVARD.EDU (Karl Teeter)
Subject:  Re: Language and Dreams

2)
Date:  Tue, 04 Jun 1996 09:05:09 PDT
From:  dalford at s1.csuhayward.edu (Dan Moonhawk Alford)
Subject:  Disc: Hypnosis & forgotten languages

Date:  Fri, 31 May 1996 09:17:49 EDT
From:  kvt at husc.HARVARD.EDU (Karl Teeter)

Dear Friends: While it has been fun reading all of the interesting
anecdotes here related on this subject, I am a bit disconcerted to see
everything we have learned in scientific psychology since William James
swept away, until we are back to pure introspection.  It should not be
necessary to point this out to this list, but we know very little
about what really happens in dreams. Even the rem sleep business, which
now seems to be taken so for granted, is known only because of
painstaking and detailed empirical study. As for the languages of which
one has fluent command in dreams, it's simple.  In real life, I struggle
to approach limited fluency in any language beyond my native English.  In
dreams I can speak any language fluently -- you name it. What does this
prove?  Yours, kvt