7.862, Disc: PC

The Linguist List linguist at tam2000.tamu.edu
Mon Jun 10 14:44:13 UTC 1996

LINGUIST List:  Vol-7-862. Mon Jun 10 1996. ISSN: 1068-4875. Lines:  395

Subject: 7.862, Disc: PC

Date:  Sat, 08 Jun 1996 09:56:38 PDT
From:  fjn at u.washington.edu (Frederick Newmeyer)
Subject:  the term 'politically correct'

2)
Date:  Sat, 08 Jun 1996 10:40:07 CDT
From:  mlrlm at sunset.backbone.olemiss.edu (Rebecca Larche Moreton)
Subject:  Re: 7.848, Qs: "PC" origin

3)
Date:  Thu, 06 Jun 1996 23:00:55 EDT
From:  rowe at email.unc.edu (Charles Rowe)
Subject:  Re: pc, the lexical item

4)
Date:  Sat, 08 Jun 1996 23:09:01 EDT
From:  karlgren at TOMEK.CS.NYU.EDU (Jussi Karlgren)
Subject:  "PC" origin

5)
Date:  Sun, 09 Jun 1996 15:45:00 +0900
From:  gmodica at fh.seikei.ac.jp (Guy Modica)
Subject:  LSA & PC

6)
Date:  Sun, 09 Jun 1996 12:05:00 CDT
From:  debaron at uiuc.edu (Dennis Baron)
Subject:  politically correct

7)
Date:  Sun, 09 Jun 1996 22:16:49 EDT
From:  ghomeshi at linguist.umass.edu (Jila Ghomeshi)
Subject:  History of 'PC'

8)
Date:  Mon, 10 Jun 1996 16:29:47 BST
From:  jieli at coli.uni-sb.de (Jie Li)
Subject:  Re "PC" origin

Date:  Sat, 08 Jun 1996 09:56:38 PDT
From:  fjn at u.washington.edu (Frederick Newmeyer)

In the United States anyway, the term 'politically correct' goes back at
least to the early 1970s. Then it was used, without irony, by members of
Maoist-Stalinist groups (Progressive Labor, the October League, the
Revolutionary Union) to describe the positions taken by their
organizations. So, one would talk about the 'politically correct' position
on black nationalism, on Bangladesh, etc. As a member of a Trotskyist
group in that period, I remember being amused at how what was 'politically
correct' changed every time China's foreign policy changed.

Gradually throughout the 1970s the term 'politically correct' began to be
used by non-affiliated leftists (and those influenced by the left), and
especially by feminists. And more and more it became used, not to refer to
political positions, but to *behavior*, especially verbal behavior. So by
the late 1970s it was common to hear people say, without irony, that it is
not politically correct to let your dinner hosts wash all the dishes
themselves, it is not politically correct to refer to someone as being
'overweight', and so on.

I'm not sure when the term was co-opted by the right as a rhetorical
device against the left -- mid 1980s I would guess. But by that time the
term had all but stopped being used by anybody in the leftist/liberal
milieu.

- fritz newmeyer