7.897, FYI: MtStr - Multilingual string library; New Language Use list

The Linguist List linguist at tam2000.tamu.edu
Fri Jun 14 23:52:02 UTC 1996

LINGUIST List:  Vol-7-897. Fri Jun 14 1996. ISSN: 1068-4875. Lines:  151

Subject: 7.897, FYI: MtStr - Multilingual string library; New Language Use list

Editor for this issue: aristar at tam2000.tamu.edu (Anthony Rodrigues Aristar)

Date:  Fri, 14 Jun 1996 18:35:44 -0000
From:  veronis at univ-aix.fr ("Jean Ve'ronis")
Subject:  Free Soft: MtStr - Multilingual string library

2)
Date:  Fri, 14 Jun 1996 12:10:35 -0800
From:  ervintr1 at violet.berkeley.edu (Susan Ervin-Tripp)
Subject:  new list: lang-use

Date:  Fri, 14 Jun 1996 18:35:44 -0000
From:  veronis at univ-aix.fr ("Jean Ve'ronis")

.

              *** ANNOUNCING FREE SOFTWARE ALPHA RELEASE ***

                  MtStr - Multilingual string library

MtStr is a C library for UN*X developed in the context of the MULTEXT
project, which extends the usual functions provided in the C character and
string ctype and string libraries, in order to accomodate multi-lingual text
processing. MtStr is designed especially for texts encoded using SGML. It
offers the following capabilities:

   * it extends functions such as isupper, strcmp, strtok, etc., to handle
     several different character sets as well as SGML entities;
   * it offers additional functions for translation between different
     character sets and/or SGML entities;
   * it extends functions such as isupper, islower, etc., to handle
     characters with diacritics;
   * it provides means to handle different lexicographic orderings;
   * it provides functions for conversion between character classes (e.g.,
     between the accented and unaccented versions of a given character,
     etc.);
   * it handles both fixed-width character sets (in which all characters
     have the same byte size) and variable-width character sets (in which
     characters may have different byte sizes);

MtStr internally maps all characters to Unicode/ISO 10646. The functions are
table-driven and can therefore be easily customized to handle modification
or additional character sets, as needed.

Source code and documentation can be freely downloaded for non-commencial,
non-military use (see our user agreement) from:

     <http://www.lpl.univ-aix.fr/projects/multext/MtStr/>

Note that MtStr is an alpha version with bugs and limitations. It is
being distributed "as is" in order to solicit feedback. We invite the
user community to send comments and advice, provide additional tables,
etc.

Jean Ve'ronis
Multext project Coordinator_______________veronis at univ-aix.fr