7.899, Qs: "trouver", Game, Cree Word for "social", Field Methods

The Linguist List linguist at tam2000.tamu.edu
Sun Jun 16 04:07:54 UTC 1996

LINGUIST List:  Vol-7-899. Sat Jun 15 1996. ISSN: 1068-4875. Lines:  194

Subject: 7.899, Qs: "trouver", Game, Cree Word for "social", Field Methods

Editor for this issue: avaldez at emunix.emich.edu (Annemarie Valdez)

Date:  Fri, 14 Jun 1996 16:15:10 PDT
From:  Boris.P.Karnikowski at rz.ruhr-uni-bochum.de (karnibbz)
Subject:  "trouver"

2)
Date:  Fri, 14 Jun 1996 16:05:44 EST
From:  McConD_at_MET09MF1 at ccmail.edu.gov.on.ca
Subject: "Chinese Checkers"

3)
Date:  Sat, 15 Jun 1996 13:59:17 +0200
From:  schoneb at uni-muenster.de (Thomas Schoeneborn)
Subject:  Q: Cree word for 'social' or 'the social'

4)
Date:  Sat, 15 Jun 1996 15:08:03 GMT
From:  104LYN at muse.arts.wits.ac.za ("M. Lynne Murphy")
Subject:        field methods teaching

Date:  Fri, 14 Jun 1996 16:15:10 PDT
From:  Boris.P.Karnikowski at rz.ruhr-uni-bochum.de (karnibbz)

As a student of philology I am currently working on a topic which aims
at a combination of etymology and proverb study; the underlying
problem is the etymology of the french verb "trouver" which has been
under discussion since the turn of the century. The basic quarrel
involved Hugo Schuchardt from Vienna representing the semantic
approach (he deduced "trouver" from the latin etymon "turbare aquam",
relying on his examination of fishing techniques) and the french
Gaston Paris (who defended the "phonetic root" and therefor the etymon
"*tropare"). Still today, there is no real solution to the problem
(although Schuchardt seemed to "underly" in this conflict ...).

Nevertheless, I consider Schuchardt's approach as being a quite
sympathetic one (if I may say so) - so I would like to back up his
thesis by help of material from the field of paremiology. Actually,
there are in almost all european languages a lot of proverbs dealing
with fishing and the stirring up of the water - a fact that seems to
back up Schuchardt's thesis which was, as far as I know, only based on
his knowledge of fishing techniques.

Now to my problem (and the reason I'm mailing to this list): Since I
do have - to my astonishment (I perused GBIP, BIP, MLA, several
Internet databases, a few universitarian libraries ...) - severe
problems in finding literature of any kind approaching the field of
etymology by help of proverb study, I would be very grateful for any
hint towards book titles or articles which might serve as a guiding
line for my own work.  Or are there even publications dealing with a
topic related to the one I'm working on?

Since I haven't subscribed to this list, I would be thankful if
answers could be posted to my email-address which runs as follows:

Boris.P.Karnikowski at rz.ruhr-uni-bochum.de

Thanks for your attention and help -

best,

Boris Karnikowski.