7.903, All: LINGUIST Cookbook

The Linguist List linguist at tam2000.tamu.edu
Mon Jun 17 17:12:38 UTC 1996

LINGUIST List:  Vol-7-903. Mon Jun 17 1996. ISSN: 1068-4875. Lines:  110

Subject: 7.903, All: LINGUIST Cookbook

Editor for this issue: hdry at uts.cc.utexas.edu (Helen Dry)

Date:  Sun, 16 Jun 1996 16:22:41 +0300
From:  druuskan at cc.helsinki.fi (Deborah D K Ruuskanen)
Subject:  Cookbook Template

Date:  Sun, 16 Jun 1996 16:22:41 +0300
From:  druuskan at cc.helsinki.fi (Deborah D K Ruuskanen)

LINGUIST COOKBOOK TEMPLATE

First, thanks to everyone who has made a contribution so far. In order
to clarify what we want submitted (basically anything to do with cookery
plus linguistics) and to "standardize" submissions, see the "template"
below:

SUBMISSIONS should be hardcopy either
	FAXED: (ATTN: KELA) Int'l +358 0 836 242 10
	OR AIR MAILED:	Kela Ruuskanen
			Leankuja 1
			FIN-01420 Vantaa
			FINLAND
	email queries to: <druuskan at cc.helsinki.fi>

SUBMISSIONS SHOULD INCLUDE
	Recipes: all measurements American or metric
	Personal comments of all kinds on the recipes
	Original language of recipe plus English translation
	Cookery terminology or processes, comments on same
	Regional or local delicacies (plus definitions of same in
	English)
	Place of recipe in local society (with whom and where eaten)
	Local (your place of origin or current residence) festival foods
	Derivations or etymologies of terms or names of dishes, if
	known: for example "barbecue" where it comes from, what it means
	locally
	Amusing anecdotes related to food matters
	What you survived on during field trips to collect data

NOTE: NOT ALL OF THE ABOVE NEED BE SUBMITTED.  ANYTHING ELSE YOU CAN
THINK OF WHICH COMBINES LINGUISTICS AND FOOD/COOKERY WILL BE WELCOME.

REMEMBER: Your lunch may be VERY exotic to someone else.  Please submit
possible substitutions for exotic ingredients which may either be
unavailable or fantastically expensive (like salmon) elsewhere.

In so far as possible, these should be your own, tried and true,
recipes, or those of your friends or family.  Copyrighted recipes
cannot be used unless you yourself obtain permission. However, if you
have changed something in the recipe, your personal version is not
considered to be copyrighted in most cases. Please indicate if you or
someone reliable has not actually tested the recipe, or if you got it
out of a copyrighted book.

If you can get your students to collect recipes from their own family
and friends, so much the better. I would appreciate a pre-scan of all
student submissions to eliminate duplicates or obviously incomplete
things. We are trying for as much worldwide inclusion as possible.

At the moment, recipes will be published in alphabetical order by main
ingredient rather than "type of course" - SUGGESTED MENUS are also
welcome, as the order in which foods are eaten differ in different
cultures.

Please also include the name and affiliation of the person submitting
the recipe or other information.

Keep personal comments or anecdotes SHORT - half a page if possible, or
less. Longer submissions may be edited.

Someone has already asked for a GERMAN version of the finished ENGLISH
version: unless someone volunteers to translate from the ENGLISH, for
FREE as your contribution to LINGUIST, there will only be an ENGLISH
version, but we DO WANT the original language of all submissions, as
well as the ENGLISH.  Hopefully we will be able to make multi-lingual
lists of cooking terminology and exotic ingredients.

ILLUSTRATIONS ARE ALSO VERY WELCOME!!!! Black and white at this point.

Please reply to KELA RUUSKANEN, not the LINGUIST LIST!!!! All comments
and suggestions would be gratefully recieved.  Bon Appetite!
-
Deborah D. Kela Ruuskanen     \  You cannot teach a Man anything,
Leankuja 1, FIN-01420 Vantaa  \    you can only help him find it
druuskan at cc.helsinki.fi       \    within himself.      Galileo