7.905, Qs: Certification Exams, "Addressee", Dialogue Systems

The Linguist List linguist at tam2000.tamu.edu
Tue Jun 18 03:14:44 UTC 1996

LINGUIST List:  Vol-7-905. Mon Jun 17 1996. ISSN: 1068-4875. Lines:  160

Subject: 7.905, Qs: Certification Exams, "Addressee", Dialogue Systems

Editor for this issue: avaldez at emunix.emich.edu (Annemarie Valdez)

Date:  Sun, 16 Jun 1996 12:14:27 EDT
From:  JPKIRCHNER at aol.com
Subject:  Certification exams

2)
Date:  Sun, 16 Jun 1996 22:19:35 EDT
From:  nakazato at lists.dn.net (Yuji Nakazato)
Subject:  "Addressee"

3)
Date:  Mon, 17 Jun 1996 11:16:29 BST
From:  nostler at chibcha.demon.co.uk (Nicholas Ostler)
Subject:  Working Dialogue Systems, Anyone?

Date:  Sun, 16 Jun 1996 12:14:27 EDT
From:  JPKIRCHNER at aol.com

About a year ago, someone at the Soros Foundation told me that my
Czech state certification in general Czech proficiency was "about a
5", on some scale used in the United States.  I never got any further
clarification, but yesterday I met another person who was familiar
with some scale of this type for Russian, but was also very vague
about what the scale is, who administers such exams, etc.

Does anyone know any specifics about this?

Also, in language self-teaching books I've seen references to
something called "EC threshold level".  What is that all about?

James Kirchner