7.928, Disc: Linguality

The Linguist List linguist at tam2000.tamu.edu
Mon Jun 24 22:47:14 UTC 1996

LINGUIST List:  Vol-7-928. Mon Jun 24 1996. ISSN: 1068-4875. Lines:  108

Subject: 7.928, Disc: Linguality

Date:  Sat, 22 Jun 1996 13:10:21 +0300
From:  druuskan at cc.helsinki.fi (Deborah D K Ruuskanen)
Subject:  Re: 7.915, Disc: Linguality:definition of language

2)
Date:  Sun, 23 Jun 1996 22:24:30 MDT
From:  jfidel at udlapvms.pue.udlap.mx ("James L. Fidelholtz")
Subject:  Re: 7.915, Disc: Linguality

Date:  Sat, 22 Jun 1996 13:10:21 +0300
From:  druuskan at cc.helsinki.fi (Deborah D K Ruuskanen)

Rick McAllister has pointed out, and someone else mentioned (forgot
who, sorry) that if you know a "master" language, you can understand
quite a lot of the cognates. Someone mentioned that Gen. Walters was
said in newspaper reports to have (not speak?) only five languages. So
HOW are we going to define what is a "language"??? Gen. Walters was a
VERY modest man, and as I have found, like other people gifted with
"an ear for language" would only own to being proficient in those
languages he could write in. But I asked him at a party once (young,
pretty-in-those-days teenage budding linguist, starry-eyed at great
man) how many languages he could COMMUNICATE in, and that's when I got
the number 32 - he paused for a while for effect, mentally counting,
and then said since coming to Brazil he thought he had gotten three or
four more...  I love it when the Miss Universe contestants say they
speak French, and English, and German, and Spanish and Italian (sure,
you can honey, but your body speaks louder than words) I have six
"tourist" languages myself, I can buy postage stamps, get a beer or a
cup of coffee or a room for the night, and count my change, but I
would NOT say I "speak" them. What does the word "speak" M E A N in
this context, anyway? Cheers, kela

Deborah D. Kela Ruuskanen 	\ You cannot teach a Man anything,
Leankuja 1, FIN-01420 Vantaa 	\ you can only help him find it
druuskan at cc.helsinki.fi 	\ within himself.
					Galileo