7.932, Disc: Not really

The Linguist List linguist at tam2000.tamu.edu
Tue Jun 25 20:55:01 UTC 1996

LINGUIST List:  Vol-7-932. Tue Jun 25 1996. ISSN: 1068-4875. Lines:  99

Subject: 7.932, Disc: Not really

Date:  Wed, 19 Jun 1996 15:17:12 EDT
From:  rowe at email.unc.edu (Charles Rowe)
Subject:  re:not really (7.909)

2)
Date:  Thu, 20 Jun 1996 21:40:41 +1100
From:  carlrw at vicnet.net.au
Subject:  Re: 7.909, Disc: "not really"

Date:  Wed, 19 Jun 1996 15:17:12 EDT
From:  rowe at email.unc.edu (Charles Rowe)

re: D.Ganelin's remarks:

I do indeed agree that the insertion of "just" does, as D.Ganelin put
it, "reverse the sign" in the phrase *not really*. My interpretation
of the phrase I offered ('not just REAL sick') turns on the
focus/emphasis on REAL; D.Ganelin's interpretation, by contrast, may
rely on a prosodic emphasis on *just*.  The *just* in my example is a
particle word, thus, [-stress].

Either way, I believe that 'just' acts as a restrictor in both examples,
and as such, restores the original/compositional meaning of the phrase:
ie, to:

'He's not extremely sick'.

It is probable that the high-frequency *really* (and *very* as well, in
English) has been de-emphasized in speech to particle status.
Stripped of its meaning, it can no longer convey in this context the
semantics of *real(ly)*. Thus a synonymous adverb that is as yet
[-particle] must be invoked to convey this meaning.

The same process has affected the German adverb *ganz* and the
Dutch adverb *heel* ('completely', in each instance), such
that *ganz gut* and *heel goed* are actually "less good" than *sehr gut*
and *zehr goed* ('very good'). (I believe *zehr* is still active in Dutch?).

Charlie Rowe
rowe at email.unc.edu