7.941, Disc: Non-standard grammar

The Linguist List linguist at tam2000.tamu.edu
Thu Jun 27 19:20:14 UTC 1996

LINGUIST List:  Vol-7-941. Thu Jun 27 1996. ISSN: 1068-4875. Lines:  252

Subject: 7.941, Disc: Non-standard grammar

Date:  Thu, 13 Jun 1996 10:26:15 EDT
From:  haroldfs at ccat.sas.upenn.edu ("Harold F. Schiffman")
Subject:  Re: 7.870, Disc: Non-standard grammar

2)
Date:  Fri, 14 Jun 1996 19:08:45 +0200
From:  lxalvarz at unica.udc.es (Celso Alvarez-Caccamo)
Subject:  Re: non-standard grammar

3)
Date:  Tue, 18 Jun 1996 13:11:11 CDT
From:  ocls at sibylline.com (George Elgin, Suzette Haden Elgin)
Subject:  nonstandard grammar

Date:  Thu, 13 Jun 1996 10:26:15 EDT
From:  haroldfs at ccat.sas.upenn.edu ("Harold F. Schiffman")

I have been biting my tongue about this issue since I am working on an
article about the development of a standard spoken dialect in Tamil,
which has a written standard that dates from around the 13th century.
I am arguing that Tamil actually has a spoken standard, but its
speakers don't recognize this because they think only written
languages can be standardized, and no high authority, Academy (Tamil
"Sangam"), or other legitimizing body has stamped its imprimatur on
the spoken standard.

(I'll not develop this further here except to say that I shall have to
take on the notion that there is a Standard Language Ideology,
according to which Standard Languages (whatever that means) "oppress"
non-standard ones, and that therefore Standardization is inherently
bad and oppressive.  I will argue that the SLI is itself an ideology
(the SLI Ideology) that is irrelevant for languages like Tamil, which
need a spoken koine for interpersonal communication.  The Standard
Spoken Tamil I and others have identified is used widely in dramas,
the Tamil film, and some radio and TV usage.)

But I digress.  Today I ran an ERIC search for "language
standardization" on the ERIC CDRom system and came up with 100's of
titles.  I'm going to edit this slightly and put it on a website (my
own) and will publicize its existence when I get it ready.

Harold F. Schiffman				           Academic Director
Henry R. Luce Professor of Language Learning		Penn Language Center
Dept. of South Asia Regional Studies		   4th Floor, Lauder-Fischer
820 Williams Hall, Box 6305					    Box 6330
			University of Pennsylvania
			Philadelphia, PA 19104-6305
Phone:  (215) 898-5825	   		       	              (215) 898-6039
Fax:  (215) 573-2138				          Fax (215) 573-2139
Email:  haroldfs at ccat.sas.upenn			      plc at ccat.sas.upenn.edu
WWW:  http://ccat.sas.upenn.edu/~haroldfs/    http://ccat.sas.upenn.edu/~plc/