7.943, Sum: moraic languages (2 ed.)

The Linguist List linguist at tam2000.tamu.edu
Fri Jun 28 13:28:14 UTC 1996

LINGUIST List:  Vol-7-943. Fri Jun 28 1996. ISSN: 1068-4875. Lines:  259

Subject: 7.943, Sum: moraic languages (2 ed.)

Date:  Thu, 27 Jun 1996 13:56:38 +0200
From:  s945025 at ipe.tsukuba.ac.jp (Kawagashira Nobuyuki)
Subject:  summary: moraic languages (2 ed.)

Date:  Thu, 27 Jun 1996 13:56:38 +0200
From:  s945025 at ipe.tsukuba.ac.jp (Kawagashira Nobuyuki)

Dear subsribers

     I posted a query for mora-time languages several months ago.
I got many helpful information from contributors.
I greatly appreciated them.
I summarized the list of mora-timed languages by contributors.
This is the second summary of moraic languages.

(1) CONTRIBUTORS

Thank you very much to the following contributors.

     Margaret Hall Dunn      dunn at haskins.yale.edu
     Tapani Salminen         tasalmin at cc.helsinki.fi
     Hartmut Haberland       hartmut at ruc.dk
     Steven Schaufele        fcosws at prairienet.org
     Kumiko Makihara         kumiko at u.washington.edu
     Pier Marco Bertinetto   bertinet at sns.it

     John E. Koontz          koontz at boulder.nist.gov
     Satoshi Uehara          suehara at wellesley.edu
     San Duanmu              duanmu at snoopy.ling.lsa.umich.edu
     Rick Mc Callister       rmccalli at sunmuw1.muw.edu
     Rod Johnson             rcj at mail.msen.com
     Allan R. King           mccay at jet.es
     Bruce Connell           connellb at vax.ox.ac.uk

(2) WHAT IS MORAIC LANGUAGES

Mainly I felt that there are many ideas about moraic languages.
It is difficult to reach consensus for every scholars.
Rod Johnson wrote:
Moraic languages are those in which the mora plays a part in the
phonology or the metrical system.

> Kenneth Pike's _Phonetics_ (or perhaps _Phonemics_?) in
> the distinction between mora-timing and syllable-timing
> languages.  There were a number of phonetic studies in the
> 1950s and 1960 attempting to either establish or deny the
> vailidty of the distinction, but it seems no definitive
> consensus was ever reached.

Rod Johnson wrote: Let me just point out, as a matter of terminology,
> that "mora-timing" does not mean "moraic".  In a mora-timing
> language, each mora takes approximately the same time to
> pronounce--thus a heavy (2-mora) syllable will take twice as long as
> a light one.  This phenomenon is also called "isochrony, and is
> mainly a phonetic one.  "Moraic" is a phonological phenomenon, in
> which a language is sensitive to the heavy/light distinction,
> regardless of timing (especially in stress or accent).  So a
> language could be moraic but not mora-timing.  The two ideas are
> quite different.

(3) LIST OF MORAIC LANGUAGES

SANSKRIT

Steven Schaufele wrote:
Sanskrit is a mora-counting language in the same way that Latin and
Classical Greek are.
Short vowels count as 1 mora, long vowels as 2, and any consonant in
the coda (not only nasals) counts as 1 mora.

  ra.t.na.m        "jewel"
  ya.jna.m         "sacrifice" (acc.)
  pr.thi.vi.i      "earth"
  sva.pa.tya.sya   "handsome"
  vi.kra.a.n.ti.m  "victorious stride"

The critical distinction is between 1-mora syllables and syllables of
more than one mora; all traditional Sanskrit poetic prosody depends
upon this distinction between `light' and `heavy' syllables.  Little
attention is paid to the distinction between 2-mora and 3-mora
syllables.

LATIN

Moraic features are similar to Sanskrit above.

CLASSICAL GREEK

ge.ra.i            HLL        "well"
  lova       lo.o.va            HLL        "bed"
  diena      di.e.na            LLH        "afternoon"
  rytas      ri.i.ta.s          HLLL       "morning"
  ac^iu      a.a.Cu.u           HLLL       "thank you"
  labas      la.a.ba.s          LHLL       "good"
  lovys      lo.o.vi.i.s        LLLHL      "tub"
  vakaras    va.a.ka.ra.s       LHLLLLL    "evening"

CLASSICAL ARABIC

JAPANESE (Standard Japanese)

  SEN-EN     se.N.e.N     [see~ee~n]  HLLL   one thousand yen
  SENNEN     se.N.ne.N    [see~nee~n] HLLL   one thousand years
  SEIEN      se.e.e.N     [se::e~n]   LHHH   cheering
  SEINEN     se.e.ne.N    [se:nee~n]  LHHH   adolescent
  SEQKEN     se.Q.ke.N    [se_kee~n]  LHHH   soap ([_] shows silence)
  TEQSEN     te.Q.se.N    [tes:ee~n]  LHHH   iron wire
  UMA        u.ma         [u-ma]      LH     horse (ordinary)
  UMA        N.ma         [mma]       LH     horse (colloq., fast speech)
  POKEQTO    po.ke.Q.to   [poke_to]   LHLL   pocket

  Traditionally sokuon /Q/ is regarded as consonantal gemination.
  This theory is true in sibilant gemination /s/ [s] and /sj/ [S].
     TEQSEN     te.Q.se.N    [tes:ee~]   LHHH   iron wire
     HAQSIja    ha.Q.sja     [haS:a]     LHHH   (train or bus) starts
  But /Q/ is realized as silence before stops including affricates, /c/ [ts]
  and /cj/ [tS].
     MEQTU      me.Q.cu      [me_tsu-]   HLL    Mets(?): juice name
     HAQTIjaKU  ha.Q.cja.ku  [ha_tSaku-] LHHH   departure and arrival
  /Q/ is usually realized as silence or duration of sibilant noise.
  Phonetically it does not have a pitch information because its silence.
  Maybe the previous vowel have the pitch information and a hearer phono-
  gically recognizes that /Q/ has a high pitch.
     KAQTA      ka.Q.ta      [ka_ta]     HLL    won
     KAQTA      ka.Q.ta      [ka_ta]     LHH    bought
  I think high pitch of /Q/ is suspectible.

  Sokuon /Q/ is mainly devided into two phonetical realization:
     a) silence before voiceless consonants and affricates.
     b) voiceless sibilant before voiceless sibilant.

KILIVILA (KIRIWINA)

  ba.la                   "I will go"
  e.la                    "he/she goes"
  a.m.be.sa               "where"
  ba.ki.u.m               "I will do secretly"
  bi.ka.tu.po.i.a.i.m.si  "they will ask you"
  m.se.'u                 "smoke"
  ka.bi.ta.m              "wisdom"
  m.m.mo.ta               "this (bundle)"
  la.o.di.la              "bush, jungle"
  i.si.si.a.si            "they stay (in a place)"
  i.ka.tu.po.i.a.i.da.si  "he asks us"
  to.m.mo.ta              "people"

Some East Oceanic Languages:
   HAWAIIAN, FIJIAN

SIOUAN LANGUAGES (NORTH AMERICA):
   DAKOTAN, OMAHA-PONCA, WINNEBAGO(HOCHANK), CROW

(4) QUESTIONABLE LANGUAGES AS A MORAIC

FINNISH

  I and M. Hall Dunn agree Finnish is mora-timed. But T. Salminen,
P. M.  Bertinetto disagree.

  muta      mu.ta         HL
  mutta     mu.t.ta       HLL       but
  muuta     mu.u.ta       HLL
  muutta    mu.u.t.ta     HLLL      earth (abl.)

CHINESE

  San Duan wrote:
> In my opinion, Chinese is also mora-timed.
  See references.

(5) REFERENCES

Definitions

   Trubetzkoy, N.S. (1977)
      _Grundzuege der Phonologie_ Vandenhoeck & ruprecht, Goettingen

   Hayes, Bruce _Metrical Stress Theory_

   Pike, Kenneth (1964)
      _Phonetics: A critical analysis of phonetic theory and a
       technic for the practical description of sounds_
       The University of Michigan

   Ilse Lehiste

   Pier Marco Bertinetto (1989)
      _Reflections on the dichotmy <stress> vs. <syllable-timing>_
       Revue de Phonetique Appliquee n. 91-92-93

   Cutler, Anne (1983)
      _Prosody: Models and Measurements_ Springer Verlag

Kilivila (Kiriwina)

   Senft, Gunter, (1952)
      _Kilivila : the language of the Trobriand Islanders_
      Berlin ; New York : Mouton de Gruyter, c1986.
      Series title:  Mouton grammar library ; 3.

CHINESE

  Duanmu, San. (1994)
      _Syllabic weight and syllabic durations: A correlation
      between phonology and phonetics_ Phonology 11.1: 1-24.

(6) SUMMARIZER'S COMMENTS

    I think it take long time and effort to study moraness.
I have several qustions and suggestions to study it.

   1) Viepoints:
      I found some arguments or theories got confused with different
      viewpoints auch as PHONETICAL, PHONOLOGICAL and MORPHOLOGICAL
	ones.
   2) Provability:
      Is it possible to prove moraness by phonetical experiments?
      For example, isochrony.
   3) Usefulness:
      Is it useful to categorize language by moraness?
      Is this concept meaningful for phonological analysis?
   4) Syllable and Mora:
      How is the relationship between a syllable and a mora?
      Are they exclusive concepts or overlapping entities?
   5) Definition:
      What are conditions (bases) to construct moraness?
   6) Consensus:
      Why cannot so many scholars reach to consensus about moraness?

Sincerely yours

KAWAGASHIRA Nobuyuki
s945025 at ipe.tsukuba.ac.jp
http://koryu3.statc.go.jp/~kawagasr/