7.321, Qs: Trade Names,Intonational Contours,Peripheral Coordinators

The Linguist List linguist at tam2000.tamu.edu
Fri Mar 1 04:39:16 UTC 1996

LINGUIST List:  Vol-7-321. Thu Feb 29 1996. ISSN: 1068-4875. Lines:  128

Subject: 7.321, Qs: Trade Names,Intonational Contours,Peripheral Coordinators

Editor for this issue: avaldez at emunix.emich.edu (Annemarie Valdez)

Date:  Thu, 29 Feb 1996 18:45:30 +0100
From:  sl0026 at aixrs1.hrz.uni-essen.de (Andreas Westerhoff)
Subject:  Trade names

2)
Date:  Thu, 29 Feb 1996 14:48:15 CST
From:  aspiegel at siu.edu (Alicia Spiegel)
Subject:  Intonational contours

3)
Date:  Thu, 29 Feb 1996 17:55:10 PST
From:  ezoerner at orion.oac.uci.edu (Ed Zoerner)
Subject:  Peripheral coordinators

Date:  Thu, 29 Feb 1996 18:45:30 +0100
From:  sl0026 at aixrs1.hrz.uni-essen.de (Andreas Westerhoff)

Tradenames/Trademarks are a very special kind of words. Most authors
classify them as proper names, proper nouns or as common nouns. But there is
a minority calling tradenames adjectives. I like to discuss, if this
qualification of trademarks makes sense to you in a general or restricted
 way.

I quote two rather typical statements:
"Finally, trademarks have in common with adjectives the fact that they are
very often employed as such, or at least in a parallel position, c.f. 'SHELL
oil' and 'thick (or good, etc.) oil'. Others are already adjectives in
themselves: LIGHT AND BRIGHT." (Werkman, Caspar J.: Trademarks.Their
Creation, Psychology and Perception. Amsterdam 1974 p. 4)
Legal advisors like to classify them as adjectives:
Trademarks should always be used as adjectives, never as nouns, e.g.:
Proper use	Get into Wrangler jeans now!
Improper use	Get into Wranglers now!=93
(Graham and Peroff in Murphy, John M. :Branding: A key marketing tool
Houndmills, Basingstoke, Hampshire and London 1987 p.45 f.)

In German, tradenames are nouns syntactically, they can be replaced by
pronouns, and most of them can be used with articles. But I made one
contradictory observation:
German nouns need a gender, and tradenames receive their gender from a basic
word, which is somehow understood. For instance, MERCEDES, AUDI, and
PORSCHE have a masculine gender, probably because the basic word is "der
Wagen" which is masculine.
I'd like to know, how other languages deal with this.
I will send a summary to the list, if I receive interesting answers.

If you like to answer to this query, please forward to:
Andreas.Westerhoff at uni-essen.de