7.323, All: LINGUIST Fellowship

The Linguist List linguist at tam2000.tamu.edu
Fri Mar 1 15:31:32 UTC 1996

LINGUIST List:  Vol-7-323. Fri Mar 1 1996. ISSN: 1068-4875. Lines:  82

Subject: 7.323, All: LINGUIST Fellowship

Date:  Fri, 01 Mar 1996 09:22:26 EST
From:  dseely at emunix.emich.edu (Daniel Seely)
Subject:  LINGUIST Fellowship

Date:  Fri, 01 Mar 1996 09:22:26 EST
From:  dseely at emunix.emich.edu (Daniel Seely)

As some of you know, LINGUIST is again sponsoring 2 graduate
fellowships next year, one at Eastern Michigan University and one
at Texas A&M. Ann Dizdar, the Texas A&M Fellow, will be continuing
with us; but Ljuba Veselinova finishes her degree this summer.  So
we are seeking applications for the LINGUIST Fellowship at Eastern.
And we ask for your help in bringing this opportunity to
the attention of your colleagues and students.

The LINGUIST fellowships are funded by your contributions
to the LINGUIST Development Fund; and the recipients
are expected to work for approximately 15 hours a week
during the award period (Fall 1996 through Summer 1997) as
Assistant Editors of LINGUIST.  They receive tuition waivers
and at least $4000 in financial support (we're hoping
for more, but it depends on the level of contributions);
and the fellowship can be renewed for a second year.
Fellowship recipients gain valuable experience in the use of
the UNIX utilities, electronic mail, and WWW functions
(HTML, CGI, etc.).  In addition, they make numerous
professional contacts and, we believe, learn more about
linguistics by reading and participating in discussions
among active professionals.

Though LINGUIST is based in the USA, applications from other
countries are very welcome.

The deadline for applications is March 30, 1996.

              *  *  *  *  *  *  *

AT EASTERN MICHIGAN UNIVERSITY:  The recipient will receive
the stipend plus a waiver of 15 credit hours of graduate tuition.
The EMU program offers a general linguistics curriculum leading
to a Master of Arts degree in English with a concentration
in English Linguistics.  Eastern Michigan U. is situated in
Ypsilanti, Michigan, about 5 miles from Ann Arbor, in an
active linguistics community. Inquiries and requests
for application materials should be addressed to:

       Prof. T. Daniel Seely
       Graduate Advisor in Linguistics
       Eastern Michigan University
       Ypsilanti, MI  48197