7.349, FYI: Historical Ling Methodology, Journals Listserver

The Linguist List linguist at tam2000.tamu.edu
Tue Mar 5 18:31:58 UTC 1996

LINGUIST List:  Vol-7-349. Tue Mar 5 1996. ISSN: 1068-4875. Lines:  125

Subject: 7.349, FYI: Historical Ling Methodology, Journals Listserver

Editor for this issue: lveselin at emunix.emich.edu (Ljuba Veselinova)

Date:  Tue, 05 Mar 1996 08:50:16 GMT
From:  hale1 at alcor.concordia.ca (Mark Hale)
Subject:  Historical Linguistics Methodology: Papers Archive

2)
Date:  Tue, 05 Mar 1996 11:10:48 GMT
From:  SENVTY at cardiff.ac.uk (VIRPI YLANNE-MCEWEN)
Subject:        journals listserver

Date:  Tue, 05 Mar 1996 08:50:16 GMT
From:  hale1 at alcor.concordia.ca (Mark Hale)

I have created a WWW-site which is intended to serve as an archive of
unpublished papers, research materials, and links to same dealing with
the subject of the methodology of historical linguistics.  At present,
since the site was just created, there is very little there. I hope
this posting addresses that shortcoming... Point your browsers to

	http://modlang-81-8.concordia.ca
or, equivalently,
	http://132.205.81.8.

This will call up my home page. Just click on the Avestan graphic to
get to the HLMPA (i.e., the archive).

I would recommend Netscape 2.0 or equivalent (Micro$oft IE, e.g.), and
it would be a good idea to get one's hands on the Adobe Acrobat (pdf)
plug-in for same (http://www.adobe.com) -- this enables one to read
fully-formated and fontified documents on the web (and print them,
formatting intact).

HOW TO SUBMIT:

You can anonymously ftp documents to the above address (i.e., ftp
modlang-81-8.concordia.ca). Go to the 'incoming' directory (cd
incoming) and upload materials at will. (You might send me an email
message -- hale1 at alcor.concordia.ca -- once you've done so.) .

The only restrictions (at present -- space is no problem right now)
are (1) that they be in some way relevant to the theme of the archive
and (2) that they be in a potentially usable format. I'll be the judge
of (1) (hey, it's *my* site, ok?) and, in order to verify (2),
documents must be in a format that I can check locally (just to make
certain they are readable). This includes, but is not necessarily
limited to (email me if your favorite is lacking), the following:
Acrobat (pdf), Word 6/7 for Win(95,NT), Word 5/6 for Mac,
p(ost)s(cript), dvi, (La)TeX, html, Pagemaker 6, RTF, and plain text
(ASCII). To post a link to your own site (the ideal of the web,
obviously), just email me the URL

Please try to keep font calls as generic as possible (e.g., use freely
distributable IPA fonts such as the SIL fonts, rather than the set you
made up last year on your own...). Unless you use a format that embeds
fonts (like pdf), this is critical to portability.

Email me if you have questions or comments, technical or substantive.

				Mark Hale
				hale1 at alcor.concordia.ca