7.372, Qs: Modality, Chinese Texts, Phonological Theory

The Linguist List linguist at tam2000.tamu.edu
Sat Mar 9 19:47:41 UTC 1996

LINGUIST List:  Vol-7-372. Sat Mar 9 1996. ISSN: 1068-4875. Lines:  116

Subject: 7.372, Qs: Modality, Chinese Texts, Phonological Theory

Editor for this issue: lveselin at emunix.emich.edu (Ljuba Veselinova)

Date:  Fri, 08 Mar 1996 03:01:05 PST
From:  hughes at unixg.ubc.ca (Ken Hughes)
Subject:  Modality, intentionality, and infinitival TO

2)
Date:  Fri, 08 Mar 1996 12:19:20 GMT
From:  P.Woods at dcs.shef.ac.uk (Paul Woods)
Subject:  Segmentation of Chinese texts by computer

3)
Date:  Fri, 08 Mar 1996 08:23:36 PST
From:  gldsmth at u.washington.edu (John Goldsmith)

Date:  Fri, 08 Mar 1996 03:01:05 PST
From:  hughes at unixg.ubc.ca (Ken Hughes)

I'm finishing up a thesis that examines a phenomenology of verbal
inflection and modality.  I'm looking at a narrow interpretation of
'syntactic intentionality' that I think is evident in infinitival TO
and zero morphs in English and German modal auxiliaries.

When I say intentionality, I mean intentionality in an old-fashioned
Husserlian sense as intentionality-as-directedness (not
intentionality- as-intensionality) under constrained grammatical views
observed in the patterning of infinitival TO (perhaps especially so
when it is 'semantically empty'), in periphrastic modal forms, and in
related structures such as causatives, verbs of perception, and the
like.

Whatever syntactic category infinitival TO belongs to (be it INFLo,
some other inflectional head, or some unique category of its own) I
want to assert that its referent seems to be what does the heavy
lifting in the generation of sentential modality.  This doesn't seem
too odd to assert but one consequence of this is that a modal verb
(excepting OUGHT) ends up looking something like:

        M  -->  [ TNS V [ INFLo? ]]        (with two INFL nodes?).

This is rather ugly, but it seems clear that something special needs
to be said about infinitival TO and modal AUX.

I'm interested in any comments, related mysteries, or refutations.
(Note that this grammar uses only a reduced form of Chomsky 1980.)
I'll summarize these, along with previous data collection, in April.

Thanks for your attentions,

  Ken Hughes   hughes at unixg.ubc.ca   Science Education, UBC