7.375, Qs: Basque coronal fricatives, French <y>, Length of words

The Linguist List linguist at tam2000.tamu.edu
Tue Mar 12 04:04:35 UTC 1996

LINGUIST List:  Vol-7-375. Mon Mar 11 1996. ISSN: 1068-4875. Lines:  103

Subject: 7.375, Qs: Basque coronal fricatives, French <y>, Length of words

Editor for this issue: lveselin at emunix.emich.edu (Ljuba Veselinova)

Date:  Thu, 07 Mar 1996 15:31:44 EST
From:  awechsle at bbn.com (Allan Wechsler)
Subject:  Articulation of Basque coronal fricatives.

2)
Date:  Thu, 07 Mar 1996 22:51:03 GMT
From:  wab2 at hermes.cam.ac.uk (Bill Bennett)
Subject:  French <y>

3)
Date:  Thu, 07 Mar 1996 14:54:45 CST
From:  pedersen at seas.smu.edu (Ted Pedersen)
Subject:  Length of words significant?

Date:  Thu, 07 Mar 1996 15:31:44 EST
From:  awechsle at bbn.com (Allan Wechsler)

Can anyone provide a detailed articulatory description of the Basque
coronal fricatives written "s" and "z"?  My only Basque reference is
an English translation of Geren~o's "Nuevo Metodo", and the
description therein is infuriatingly vague.

A correspondent in Basque country (who by his own admission isn't a
phonetician) describes "z" essentially as a fortis dental [s], but his
description of "s" wasn't as enlightening.

Thank you.

-A