7.393, Qs: Causatives, Mystery phrases, Modals language search

The Linguist List linguist at tam2000.tamu.edu
Thu Mar 14 20:54:56 UTC 1996

LINGUIST List:  Vol-7-393. Thu Mar 14 1996. ISSN: 1068-4875. Lines:  272

Subject: 7.393, Qs: Causatives, Mystery phrases, Modals language search

Editor for this issue: lveselin at emunix.emich.edu (Ljuba Veselinova)

Date:  Wed, 13 Mar 1996 13:35:11 EST
From:  webelhut at gibbs.oit.unc.edu (Gert Webelhuth)
Subject:  Requesting information about causatives

2)
Date:  Wed, 13 Mar 1996 16:34:00 EST
From:  Linda_K_COLEMAN at umail.umd.edu (lc22)
Subject:  Mystery phrases

3)
Date:  Thu, 14 Mar 1996 11:44:42 GMT
From:  mccay at jet.es ("Alan R. King")
Subject:  Q: Modals language search

Date:  Wed, 13 Mar 1996 13:35:11 EST
From:  webelhut at gibbs.oit.unc.edu (Gert Webelhuth)

I am working on a chapter on causatives in a forthcoming book on
complex predicates. I am trying to find idiosyncracies in causative
formation and have found plenty in synthetically formed causatives and
am now trying to establish whether similar phenomena exist when the
causative is expressed analytically (e.g. by two syntactically
separable verbs). So far, I have been without luck and I would
therefore appreciate the help of the readers of this message.

Here are the kinds of idiosyncracies I am looking for:

1. Are there any languages with more than one causative construction
(at least one of them analytic) and where it is at least in part
unpredictable which construction a particular verb will form its
causative with? In other words, is there something in the domain of
causatives like the partially idiosyncratic choice of the perfective
auxiliaries we find in several Germanic and Romance languages?

2. Are there any languages with arbirary gaps in the formation of
analytically expressed causatives, i.e. some verbs can simply not
cooccur with the causative verb and there is no general explanation
for that?

3. Are there cases of blocking involving analytically expressed
causatives, i.e. cases where the language has a lexical entry that
would mean what the productively formed causative would mean and the
productively formed causastive therefore is never used with that same
meaning (cf. "the day before today" being blocked by the lexical entry
"yesterday" in English).

I would appreciate any pointers to other idiosyncracies involving
analytically expressed causatives. Please note that I am interested in
ITEM-SPECIFIC idiosyncracies, rather than in cases where whole natural
classes of verbs behave differently, e.g. all transitive verbs do one
thing and all intransitives another. References to the relevant
literature would also be much appreciated.

Thank you very much for your time and effort.

Best,

Gert Webelhuth
Department of Linguistics