7.402, Qs: Theatrical accents, Economy & Minimalism, Advertising

The Linguist List linguist at tam2000.tamu.edu
Sun Mar 17 21:19:32 UTC 1996

LINGUIST List:  Vol-7-402. Sun Mar 17 1996. ISSN: 1068-4875. Lines:  116

Subject: 7.402, Qs: Theatrical accents, Economy & Minimalism, Advertising

Editor for this issue: lveselin at emunix.emich.edu (Ljuba Veselinova)

Date:  Wed, 13 Mar 1996 22:20:16 EST
From:  JPKIRCHNER at aol.com
Subject:  Q: Theatrical accents

2)
Date:  Thu, 14 Mar 1996 13:13:52 +0200
From:  eitkonen at utu.fi (Esa Matti Itkonen)
Subject:  economy & minimalism

3)
Date:  Thu, 14 Mar 1996 14:56:18 GMT
From:  ABARRON at ollamh.ucd.ie ("ANNE BARRON (GERMAN) PG")
Subject:        Rhetorical figures in advertising slogans

Date:  Wed, 13 Mar 1996 22:20:16 EST
From:  JPKIRCHNER at aol.com

Last night I was watching an old Hollywood film that was supposed to
take place in Renaissance Italy, when suddenly I realized it displayed
a pattern I'd seen in many other films: Despite the Italian setting,
only elderly characters had Italian accents.  Anyone under 60 had an
American or faintly British accent.

I also realized that this pattern reflected my own underlying
presumptions about a "typical" American family.  Unrealistic as it may
be, I tend to assume the "usual" situation to be that the older
members of an extended family will speak English with a foreign accent
(or one from a different region).  I began wondering if this might not
reflect stereotypes once held by US film directors as well, and
whether a similar pattern appears in films made in other parts of the
world.

So my question: In films made outside the US (including those not in
English) do certain character types tend to have foreign accents while
others do not, even when they are portrayed as being of the same
nationality?  I'm not asking about stereotyping of ethnic groups here,
but about the distribution of any accent among various characters
meant to be compatriots.

James Kirchner