7.404, Qs: Statiscal methods, Kantian adjectives, Susan Schaller

The Linguist List linguist at tam2000.tamu.edu
Mon Mar 18 17:05:11 UTC 1996

LINGUIST List:  Vol-7-404. Mon Mar 18 1996. ISSN: 1068-4875. Lines:  201

Subject: 7.404, Qs: Statiscal methods, Kantian adjectives, Susan Schaller

Editor for this issue: lveselin at emunix.emich.edu (Ljuba Veselinova)

Date:  Thu, 14 Mar 1996 15:26:55 +0800
From:  itxulm at scut.edu.cn (XU LUOMAI)
Subject: Statistical methods

2)
Date:  Fri, 15 Mar 1996 14:51:38 +0100
From:  jarek at fil.lu.se (Jaroslaw Pluciennik)
Subject:  Kantian adjectives

3)
Date:  Fri, 15 Mar 1996 10:49:09 EST
From:  vand at calvin.edu (James Vanden Bosch)
Subject:  Susan Schaller

Date:  Thu, 14 Mar 1996 15:26:55 +0800
From:  itxulm at scut.edu.cn (XU LUOMAI)

I am seeking advice on appropriate statistical methods and possible
computer program(s) to solve the following problem:

We have a project underway at the English Department of Guangdong
University of Foreign Studies, P.R. China. The project aims at finding
some possible linear relationship between the written English of some
3rd-year undergraduates of several Chinese universities and that of
the native English speakers. We have a 100,000-word corpus of essays
by Chinese EFL learners. It is tagged by our computer program using
the LOB tag set of 134 syntactic (or punctuation) tags, and a 134 by
134 tag-pair probability matrix is derived out of the tagged
corpus. The probability score of a typical tag-pair such as NN-VB is
obtained by the formula:

    Number of NN-VB
     Number of NN

We also obtained three 100,000-word random samples of the tagged LOB
corpus, and three matrices of them are similarly derived. Our
hypothesis is that the difference in English proficiency between the
Chinese EFL learners and that of the native speakers can be reflected
by some differences between their respective matrices. We want to find
some statistical treatments which are sensitive to the differences
among matrices of this nature. Can anyone help?

Xu Luomai