7.419, Disc: Grammatical gender and feminism

The Linguist List linguist at tam2000.tamu.edu
Thu Mar 21 01:01:27 UTC 1996

LINGUIST List:  Vol-7-419. Wed Mar 20 1996. ISSN: 1068-4875. Lines:  294

Subject: 7.419, Disc: Grammatical gender and feminism

Editor for this issue: lveselin at emunix.emich.edu (Ljuba Veselinova)

Date:  Thu, 14 Mar 1996 18:48:38 EST
From:  amr at CS.Wayne.EDU (Alexis Manaster Ramer)
Subject:  Re:  7.395, Qs: Grammatical gender&feminism, Acronyms, Catalan

2)
Date:  Fri, 15 Mar 1996 09:00:11 +0300
From:  yishai at bgumail.bgu.ac.il (Yishai Tobin)
Subject:  Gender switch

3)
Date:  Fri, 15 Mar 1996 09:57:04 EST
From:  mnewman at magnus.acs.ohio-state.edu (Michael Newman)

4)
Date:  Fri, 15 Mar 1996 22:34:37 +0100
From:  waruno at paradox.rz-berlin.mpg.de (Waruno Mahdi)
Subject:  Re: 7.395, Discussion: Grammatical gender and feminism

Date:  Thu, 14 Mar 1996 18:48:38 EST
From:  amr at CS.Wayne.EDU (Alexis Manaster Ramer)

The problem with trying to make a language like German more genderless
by deciding that nouns like Ingenieur be like English engineer is that
there is no grammatical category to which they could belong.  You have
to have either a masculine or a feminine noun.  Even if you tried to
ordain that Ingenieur could be of either gender, i.e., to allow die
Ingenieur as well as der Ingenieur to be grammatical, that would not
help, obviously.  The only way to make German like English or Basque
would be to abolish the grammatical category of gender altogether
(same for Spanish or Russian), and quite clearly speakers find it
harder to imagine doing that than to make the changes described,
namely, insisting that Ingenieur can only mean 'male engineer' and
using Ingenieurin for a female one.  That's presumably because of that
trite but true principle that the grammatical system of a language is
harder to mess with than its lexicon.

Alexis Manaster Ramer