7.429, Disc: Grammatical gender

The Linguist List linguist at tam2000.tamu.edu
Fri Mar 22 16:13:11 UTC 1996

LINGUIST List:  Vol-7-429. Fri Mar 22 1996. ISSN: 1068-4875. Lines:  196

Subject: 7.429, Disc: Grammatical gender

Date:  Thu, 21 Mar 1996 09:24:23 EST
From:  Mark at ccgate.dragonsys.com
Subject:   Grammatical gender and feminism

2)
Date:  Thu, 21 Mar 1996 10:18:59 CST
From:  jihualde at ux1.cso.uiuc.edu
Subject:  Re: 7.419, Disc: Grammatical gender and feminism

3)
Date:  Thu, 21 Mar 1996 18:35:22 EST
From:  JCDAVIS at UKCC.uky.edu (Joseph Davis)
Subject:       Sex and reference in Italian (fwd)

4)
Date:  Wed, 20 Mar 1996 18:41:46 PST
From:  keg at violet.berkeley.edu (Keith GOERINGER)
Subject:  gender switching

Date:  Thu, 21 Mar 1996 09:24:23 EST
From:  Mark at ccgate.dragonsys.com

In LINGUIST 7.419 Waruno Mahdi writes:

There is incidentally also no masculine correspondent to the German
feminine noun Hebamme "midwife" (just as there is no *"midhusband" in
English), although male persons pursuing that profession do exist in
Germany. Correspondingly you also cannot form plurals like
*PolitessInnen or *HebammInnen.
<<<<<<

It  is a common misapprehension even among native speakers of English
that "midwife" means some kind of "wife" and therefore refers to a
woman. The syllable "mid" here probably comes from Old English "mid"
'with' (cognate to German "mit"): the midwife stays *with* the woman
(who is typically a *wife*) during labor. English "male midwife" is, I
guess, partly due to this mistaken analysis, but is also justifiable on the
same grounds as "male nurse", as indicating the statistically marked sex
of the referent.

                         Mark A. Mandel
    Dragon Systems, Inc. : speech recognition : +1 617 965-5200
  320 Nevada St. :  Newton, Mass. 02160, USA : mark at dragonsys.com