7.438, Qs: Qiang in Northern Sichuan, Dyslexia, N Cartagena

The Linguist List linguist at tam2000.tamu.edu
Fri Mar 22 23:09:48 UTC 1996

LINGUIST List:  Vol-7-438. Fri Mar 22 1996. ISSN: 1068-4875. Lines:  110

Subject: 7.438, Qs: Qiang in Northern Sichuan, Dyslexia, N Cartagena

Date:  Wed, 20 Mar 1996 02:27:18 +0800
From:  emma at public.sta.net.cn (EMMA)
Subject:  query from neophyte

2)
Date:  Wed, 20 Mar 1996 17:23:08 +0100
From:  Unni.Berland at eng.uib.no (Unni Berland)
Subject:  Dyslexia

3)
Date:  Wed, 20 Mar 1996 09:58:01 MST
From:  turleyj at jkhbhrc.byu.edu (Jeff Turley)
Subject:  Nelson Cartagena

Date:  Wed, 20 Mar 1996 02:27:18 +0800
From:  emma at public.sta.net.cn (EMMA)

hello..i am new to this list and new to native languages.

i am a music researcher working in china exploring music and dance of
the qiang people in northern sichuan mountains. the qiang have an oral
language quite distinct from the dominant Han (mandarin) Chinese,
although most Qiang speak and write Chinese.

there even is a pinyin version of Qiang that is taught in the schools,
an experimental program for elementary school-age children, as well as
an adult education program in a local college for adult qiang.

i need tocome uptospeed quickly on basics of issues and concernsaround
orallanguages, as it is affecting my research (as youmight imagine) in
music and dance.  for instance, in two villages, less than 50km apart,
the "qiang" language spoken is drastically different:
                           "hing hua" in village #1 for "very good"
                           "lo gege se" in village #3 for same phrase

thanks thanks

emma zevik
sichuan conservatory
chengdu, sichuan